Green Pantograph

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Green Pantograph

Post by BadDog »

Against my better judgment, a person who I previously considered a friend conned and pressured me (shhh, that's the story I am telling my wife...) into buying his Green bench top 2-D Pantograph. It appears in very good condition, but other than the obvious stylus tracking and multiplication geometry I really have no idea how to use it. Where would one learn the ins and outs? Tool geometry choices, material attributes and useful parameters for good results, how best to make an approach, presentation climb or conventional, lubricant, speed (not adjustable, but...), and who know what I don't even know how to ask.

Truth to tell, the tipping point for taking it was my wife has talked about getting a hand engraver for some semi-artistic engraving, particularly on glass and semi-precious stones. I'm thinking probably rig a diamond or carbide point for glass and stone? Being 2D limits it some for the stones, but I thought it would be something we could both enjoy once I figure the basics.

It came with what appears to be a 2 flute 1/8" end mill, so I'm assuming it was previously used for either aluminum, plastic, or more likely a wood project. What are the reasonable ranges of material?

For reference it appears in very good condition and came with both a large and small pattern table. The large table has 2 kerning bars (I think that's right?), and I previously got a full font set as part of a "cabinet and contents" bulk bid at auction.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
hammermill

Re: Green Pantograph

Post by hammermill »

BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Thanks, that's a start. Too bad most of the more interesting links are now dead. :(
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ehughes

Post by ehughes »

Hello BD, Have a Green engraver, but by no means expert not having used it much. Do have a manual for it which could be copied & scanned if you are interested, it has quite a bit of information in it. Also have a couple of grinders one of which is being fixed up to sell eventually. You can use 1/4 or 1/2 half round engraving cutters or small router bits or end mills like you have. The spindle has a #1 Brown & Sharpe taper in it, which you probably already know. Also one can make a small collet to fit the taper to take small (say 1/8") carbide engraving bits which are available from various suppliers. Think there is reference in the manual about drag &/or rotary engraving with diamond bits. Sounds like you are good to go, as most machines i have seen for sale are missing a lot of the tooling & master type. Let me know if i can be of any help. Regards, Earl
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I hate to ask, but yes I would love to have a manual. Let me know and I'll gladly send funding to cover.

BTW, is yours a bench top, and if so, got any pictures?? No idea the number, or if there was more than one bench top.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ehughes

Post by ehughes »

Hi BD, OK if it's scanned & emailed, looks like about 32 pages including sales literature? Mine is a benchtop #106, as i think most were, will post some photos, but might take a day or so. Regards, Earl
ehughes

Post by ehughes »

Photos of Green engraver MN 106. BD, maybe my previous post was unclear, was trying to ask if it would be ok to email the scanned manual to you? Regards, Earl
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Oh wow, sorry, somehow I missed that post. Absolutely, email would be great.

However, after seeing yours, it's quite different from Mine. The one I have is rather huge, though still a "bench top". Must weight at least 400 lbs. Still haven't built a stand for it, but I'll see if I can get pics before I loose all the light.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Sorry, I should have posted pics earlier, but I'm the world's worst procrastinator when it comes to taking pics. <sigh>

The only identifying mark other than "Green" cast into the column is what appears to be "E1" arranged vertically on a small brass plate.

Note the safety glasses included for scale, and the pallet jack is a double wide, not standard.
Attachments
Green1.jpg
Green2.jpg
Green3.jpg
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Skyking252

Post by Skyking252 »

ehughes wrote:Hi BD, OK if it's scanned & emailed, looks like about 32 pages including sales literature? Mine is a benchtop #106, as i think most were, will post some photos, but might take a day or so. Regards, Earl
I'm also a new owner of a Green Model 106. Is there any chance that you might email the scanned manual to me as well?

Many, many thanks.

gregfrance252@hotmail.com
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I forwarded the scan he sent me.

Much thanks to ehughes for providing the original scan!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

It's not a Green machine, well in a way it is :-) Stefan Gotteswinter on his Youtube channel shows a few videos about using his 3d Deckel engraver (that's painted green) But even at 2D there a lot more versitile than I'd thought. He's even used his to help make new lathe chuck jaws by copying the curved teeth on the back side of the chuck jaws. Depth of cuts are limited of course, but his will do very light milling to shape. One of the Guy Lautard bedside reader books has some limited information about the Green engravers, but mostly about the much smaller version shown in Ehughes photos and building a copy of that.