Green Pantograph

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

geocog

Re: Green Pantograph

Post by geocog »

Hi friends, I've never posted on a forum before, but I was happy to find this thread because I just bought a Green Pantograph like BadDog's (two pictures attached). Mine came on a base, but I'm having trouble finding any other identifying marks like the plate mentioned in another post. It weighs 695lbs with the base. There is a stamped mark on one of the articulated arms that says it is model "D-2". Anyway, I'd be happy to have anyone send me the scanned PDF that was passed around a few years ago on this thread. Also, BadDog, have you learned any tricks about this thing that you'd like to pass along? Mine has a strange pneumatic system attached to the spindle, I can't tell what it is for. I've used it once already only using the belt system. Anyway, I'll be happy to talk if anyone still monitors this thread. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_6593.JPG
IMG_6595.JPG
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Sadly, that and a few other projects got put on indefinite hold back then due to various personal (both knees finally had to be replaced) and family issues. I've only just gotten around to finishing a few of them over the summer. That included (finally) my Porter Cable G8 as well as finishing a "Box-o-mill" Bridgeport. And progress a "Thicknesser" Franken Grinder remains to be finished. The Green is almost at the top now that I've got some legs to make a nice base for it, and sold a tool grinder I was never going to get around to that makes room for the Green. As such, I have no additional help to offer.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
jroadman

Post by jroadman »

I'm curious if either of you has spent more time with the D-2s? I am looking at purchasing one and it appears to have a similar pneumatic system. Geocog, have you figured out how it functions? Is it to drive the spindle or control the vertical stroke? I have a Gorton 3z which I use quite a bit and for some reason I am just drawn to these things. I have been using a 3d printer to make patterns which opens up the design capabilities significantly. Can you tell me what type of collets the Green uses?
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Nope, still setting in the todo list.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Check out 2L inc. they have a nice selection of engraving tools. I can't help you out very much with your green pantograph since I'm still trying to master my Gorton, but let me tell you that you can do some pretty cool things with a pantograph, you just have to take it easy. On the Gorton, the stylus diameter is determined by multiplying the tool diameter X the reduction, ex: for a 3:1 reduction and 1/8" end mill, the stylus would have to be 3/8" diameter. You will have to find an instruction manual for you machine to get the calculations for intermediate reductions, such as 2.66:1. Let me know if you have trouble finding them, I can tell you how it's done on the Gorton and what measurements you'll have to take on the various arms to recreate the formula. I can tell you from personal experience that making collets for these things isn't easy, so far I made 8 and all have too much run out to be of any use. If you are going to buy brass copy to engrave letters make sure you get what you want. I think, but I'm not sure that 'normal' means reverse letters and 'regular' means the way you would write them. Like I said, I'm not sure about this but I bought a box of both and the one marked 'normal' was backward. I used my pantograph as a router to make rather intricate casting patterns, a poor man's CNC to make small metal parts and as an engraving machine, they're very versatile, just go easy and take light cuts. Trying to trace things freehand may be doable but I can't, I tried to copy a logo freehand and it didn't go very well, I then traced it and burned it into a piece of wood with a small soldering iron gouged it a little deeper with an awl and had much better luck. The more you play with it the more things you'll try to do with it, they're fun.
John
jroadman

Post by jroadman »

Thank you, John. 2L inc does have some nice tools. I also have a Gorton 3z and have a basic understanding of the machine functions. Fortunately all of the Gorton documentation is available online. I feel your pain regarding the collets. It took a long time for me to find a set for my 3z.

I am just having difficulty finding much information on the Green Machines.

James