A topic for Glenn or Harold re: metrics

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: A topic for Glenn or Harold re: metrics

Post by Mr Ron »

Chris, How do you order small fasteners from Knupfershop? Their site is only in German.

Sorry, I didn't see the "translate" button.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Ron,

I think there is no translate button.
Start here : http://www.knupfershop.de/shop/
Just click in the left menu and you'll notice for each item there's an icon, you can't miss.
Good luck

Chris
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I've come to a conclusion that will satisfy everyone the world over. All fasteners will have a metric thread and the heads will be imperial. I believe this was done back in the 60's during a transitional period at automotive plants.
ronm

Post by ronm »

You mean IRRITATE everyone the world over, right? :roll:
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Do a fair amount of salvaging and metric heads and Imperial threads are not that uncommon, nor the other way around.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

And then there is the US gallon....a private, non imperial measure , based on imperial measurements....
TheBoiler

Post by TheBoiler »

and the pint and oz.
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

A bit late on this post, but here is my experiences.
I grew up on Imperial. Using tools around the house, because Dad fixed about everything.
In my early teens I purchased a Honda 55cc motorcycle. And it needed some work.
We didn't have Metric tools, and I think no real way to get them. So we worked rebuilding the engine, by finding a socket that was close and hammering it on the bolt. When finished we had most bolts SAE sized.
A bit later I went to college and in Physics, I was taught Metric and had to use it there.
In 1980, I got a job working at an helicopter overhaul place. They had some helicopters that were from France. So I purchased my first set of Metric tools. Was interesting to work with both types of equipment.
Now my tool box has both sets of tools
In 2002 I went to work and worked along side a Britt from South Africa. Talking to his one day he said,"You Americans make things to hard. With your A-Z, 1-50, and fraction measurements. Why not use metric and have only one standard to use?" Laughing I said. "This way we can keep you people from doing our work because it is to hard for the rest of the world."
A piece of info, Napoleon started the metric system, because he lost at Waterloo, and was mad at the English.
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Flybynight wrote: A piece of info, Napoleon started the metric system, because he lost at Waterloo, and was mad at the English.
Where do you guys get this stuff? The law defining the essential elements of the metric system was written by revolutionaries in 1795. France officially adopted the system in 1799. Waterloo was in 1815.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

mklotz wrote:
Flybynight wrote: A piece of info, Napoleon started the metric system, because he lost at Waterloo, and was mad at the English.
Where do you guys get this stuff? The law defining the essential elements of the metric system was written by revolutionaries in 1795. France officially adopted the system in 1799. Waterloo was in 1815.
Guess my Physics Instructor, told a white one.
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Although this is an old post, I have to agree with Harold as it has to do with "sense of size". I can visualize a length in imperial, but not in metric without actually converting. I can visualize .625", 9.500" or 4'-9", but 2.5 mm, or 58mm, no way without converting. Converting only adds another possible error to the equation. Quick; will a 3000mm 2x4 be larger or smaller than a standard 2x4 (92-1/2") stud? How about 2500mm?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Depends on sense...

If you think metric then your sense is metric.

If you have to convert...then you are not thinking in that system...and thinking in a system generally requires immersion.

I moved to a part of the world where we lived and worked with an ongoing combination of imperial and metric when I was 24..and have been thoroughly screw up ever since....😛 ...and have a shop full of imperial and metric tools and gauges and taps / dies and am very thankful for DROs.

Ever made the mistake of putting an NPT pipe fitting into a pump that came from Scotland (which uses BSP?)

Ever tried to fit a USA made shaft seal to a Swiss made pump where both the pump and seal are within tolerance and the fool thing STILL WILL NOT FIT over the shaft?

All this is probably why I prefer an adjustable wrench.. :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.