Bandsaw problem

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mclarenross

Bandsaw problem

Post by mclarenross »

I have a Delta 9" Bandsaw in my shop that I use for cutting metal stock. It has worked fine for this purpose for years now. I moved about 6 months ago and when I set it back up and bolted it to the bench I made for it it will not cut anything now. It acts like the blade is just compleatly dull, so I replaced the blade. No dice, still not cutting. I have checked all the adjustments, everything is tight and the blade it tracking correctly. Yes it is on the spools the correct direction for cutting. I'm stumped. Anyone got any suggestions for getting this back to cutting? I hate using a hack saw.
Lance Corporal of Marines
hammermill

Re: Bandsaw problem

Post by hammermill »

maybe a pic would help but you may need to have a friend look, as you have to be refusing to see the obvious.

blade backwords, stop preventing full motion of saw. some piece of debris dulling blades. these all cone to mind
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

It has got to be something simple, try looking at the teeth of the blade again, They should tell you what is happening. If they are worn flat then something is dulling them. Could it be that the teeth are facing the wrong way. We used to flip band saw blades on apprentices as a joke. I assume you know that the teeth can be flipped around backwards on a blade but sometimes it can get confusing, On a portaband the teeth come towards you , but on some bench saws the teeth go away from you. Have a cup of coffee and then It will all look clearer.
STRR

Post by STRR »

If the blade is on correctly and is sharp, is the motor running backward? The band should be moving downward to cut. I am sure you already know this but as was stated: It has got to be something simple.

Good Luck,
Terry
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Just to add to the "simple things to check" list, is
the blade oriented correctly. I mean, are the teeth
pointed up instead of down? Of course, they should
point down.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
rodw

Post by rodw »

Is there enough weight on the blade?

Is the blade too fine for the material you are cutting?
RodW
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.vehiclemods.net.au
mclarenross

Post by mclarenross »

Well guys Im still stuck. I went through the thing today from one end to the other. Cleaned it, oiled it, checked the blade, adjusted the rollers, made sure everything was running true, still wont cut a loaf of bread! Im gonna buy a new blade for it I think. This one still looks and feels sharp, the teeth arent rounded off or chipped or missing or anything. I just bought this blade but I may have dulled it somehow already. Thanks for the help guys.
Lance Corporal of Marines
JTiers

Post by JTiers »

"Acts like it is dull".....

That can have many meanings....... Does it even "mark" 1018? Even a dull blade cuts, it just cuts so badly that you don't want to use it, usually.

Will it cut a piece of wood?

if no, then there has to be something you think is right but actually it is radically wrong.

if it WILL cut wood, does it cut it reasonably fast? if it is slow, the teeth must be dull, missing, or blade is on with teeth pointing backwards. or the feed system is way off.
spro

Post by spro »

At some point the blade was readjusted back by the thrust bearing etc. The guides are ball bearings and these hard races over the necessary tips, for seconds, may have beat those tips. It is the same as a dull point on a threading tool.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

mclarenross wrote:Well guys Im still stuck. I went through the thing today from one end to the other. Cleaned it, oiled it, checked the blade, adjusted the rollers, made sure everything was running true, still wont cut a loaf of bread! Im gonna buy a new blade for it I think. This one still looks and feels sharp, the teeth arent rounded off or chipped or missing or anything. I just bought this blade but I may have dulled it somehow already. Thanks for the help guys.
Something isn't making sense. Can you post a picture of the blade on the saw?

If the blade, at any time, has been run reversed, the teeth may feel sharp, but they won't cut. If you're not familiar with tooth geometry, it can fool you easily.
Be aware that blades can be turned inside out, so when they're mounted on the saw, the teeth face the wrong direction (so the blade is running backwards, in spite of the fact that it is traveling in the proper direction). They won't cut worth a damn that way, although they will cut wood slowly. I'm beginning to wonder if, perhaps, your blade needed to be turned inside out before you installed it. If it did, a new one is now in order. Make sure the teeth aim in the right direction before installing this time.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Fabitfast

Post by Fabitfast »

It should be correctly set up , the blade must be installed properly and must be on the correct
direction.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

well i have analized all data and concluded the saw is unpluged. not to worry it happens to tv,s and computers also. :oops: