Walter Rotary Table

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

shootnride

Walter Rotary Table

Post by shootnride »

I recently purchased a 10" Walter rotary table and am now interested in the possibility of using dividing plates with it. I haven't been able to find any information about whether or not Walter ever made dividing plate sets for their rotary tables. I have been contemplating purchasing dividing plates of another brand that could be adapted to the Walter table but thought I would seek some words of wisdom from some more experienced folks. Anyone here have any suggestions ?
Thanks,
Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Richard_W

Re: Walter Rotary Table

Post by Richard_W »

I don't know all the details, but this might be what you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dividing-plate- ... 2a1be91aec

Richard W.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Thanks Richard. That is pretty much the type of thing I've been looking at since I've had no luck finding anything from Walter. So far, everything I've found will require some machining to adapt to my rotary table, but it looks like that's the direction I'll have to go.
Thanks again.
Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

shootnride,

That package that Richard spoke of above is a great price,
and saves alot of work. :wink:

(Unless you are into drilling holes) :lol:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Ya Ken, I think you're right. Besides, if a person really wanted to make their own dividing plates (and I don't !) I'm thinking they'd have to already have dividing plates on a dividing head or rotary table (or CNC capability).
Ted
locomotiveps4

Post by locomotiveps4 »

You need to know the gear ratio of the rotary table. The plates need to be drilled and spaced for that ratio, or an even multiple of the table ratio. My .02 worth. Steve
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

I'll re-iterate:

I was just working with my indexer (choice of 3 separate plates) on the rotary table this morning and my table ratio is 90:1 (90 revolutions of the handle will turn the table 360 degrees). When I ordered the plates, they needed to match that 90:1 ratio. The "Tables" I use to figure out which plate to use and which holes to choose, state right at the top of the page, that the tables are for a 90:1 ratio rotary table.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

shootnride wrote:I'm thinking they'd have to already have dividing plates on a dividing head or rotary table (or CNC capability).
Just X,Y coordinates on a milling machine.

It's a 90:1 ratio, so think of the table rotation error (or lack of) if one of the plate holes was off by a thousandth or so. Divide that handle rotation error of .001" by 90...

That's a bunch of decimal places! :shock:
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

While enjoying this forum:

Here's one of those "things". I'm sitting in my Lazyboy chair. It has big padded arms where I place my cordless mouse when cruising the web with laptop in my ...well...lap. I knocked the mouse off the arm and bent over sideways to feel around on the floor for the thing. Couldn't find it, so bent over sideways to see if I could see it. Nope. Rolled forward to get out of the chair and heard a ccrrraaacck! Yep......mouse with big dent in the index finger placement. Plastic was bent up at an angle and when pushed back down would catch on the side, so it wouldn't work.

Decided to open it up, and remove the plastic finger plate, heck, what did I have to lose. Took some figuring out exactly where the screws holding the plates were, but eventually found them all and removed the plate. A bit of re-bending soon had it back in original shape except for the big dent, gotta love that plastic memory. Put it all back together, works as well as before, might have saved myself some dough....I hope...wonder how soon it'll happen again?
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
locomotiveps4 wrote:You need to know the gear ratio of the rotary table. The plates need to be drilled and spaced for that ratio, or an even multiple of the table ratio. My .02 worth. Steve
I don't think the "plates" have to be spaced for the ratio, but
the tables sure would have to be written for the correct ratio.

For an example, take a 15 tooth gear (i.e. 15 divisions). On a
typical 40:1 ratio table or indexing head:

you would want to revolve the handle 40 holes on the 15 hole plate.
This could be expressed as 40/15 or 2 and 2/3 turns. Any plate that
will allow a turn to be divided into thirds will work. Typically, plate "A"
hole circle 15 or 18, plate "B" hole circle 21, 27 or 33, or plate "C"
hole circle 39.

With a 90:1 ratio table or indexing head:

you would want to revolve the handle 90 holes on the 15 hole plate.
In this case it could be expressed as 90/15 or 6 turns even. In this
case, any plate will work.

The point is that the 15 hole plate will work in both examples regardless
of the table's ratio; so long as the ratio is known.

But, let's say you want to make a gear with a prime number of gear
teeth like 67. In this case, you will need a plate with a 67 hole circle
(unless you can set-up for differential indexing).

With a 40:1 ratio table or indexing head:

you would revolve the handle 40 holes on the 67 hole plate. Being a
prime number, there isn't any simplification of the 40/67 ratio.

With a 90:1 ratio table or indexing head:

you would revolve the handle 90 holes on the 67 hole plate. As in the
other example, there isn't any simplification of the 90/67 ratio

Again, the 67 hole plate will work for both tables or indexers; so long
as the ratio of said table or indexer is known.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Gentlemen,
Thank you for all of the input. I'm glad I asked the question. For some reason I guess I was assuming all rotary tables operated with the same gear ratio, but it's obvious to me now that they don't. My Walter table is a 120:1 ratio (one handle rotation equals three degrees of table rotation). So, if I'm thinking correctly, it seems that plates (and charts) designed to work with ratios evenly divisible into 120 (or 360 for that matter) should work. Am I thinking correctly ???
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

O.K. guys, I re-read Webb's explanation about three more times this morning (you guys make my little mind work overtime :? ) I think I understand the concept pretty well now. I think Webb was saying that the most important thing is understanding how to utilize a given ratio chart to my 120:1 ratio rotary table. I think if the chart is a multiple of my 120:1 (ie: 40:1) it should make it pretty easy to calculate any desired division.
Thanks for all your help
Ted