craftsman drill press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

J TIERS: I have had three Dunlap power tools, still have the bands saw and use it fitfully.

Thanks for clearing up its origins, as I believe my pieces were form the late 50's into the 60's, all yard sale finds.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Lynn Edwards

Post by Lynn Edwards »

Steve_in_Mich wrote: BTW, the belt is available at Sears Parts Direct (I just checked) for $9.99 plus S&H.
Thanks for posting that info. I've looked everywhere for these without success. I'm on my last belt (I bought four each twenty years ago), and it is tattered. I had resigned myself to buying a new drill press when this one broke but now I won't have to. I bought three more this morning from Sears Parts Direct. I'm good for another couple decades at least.

I bought the "Craftsman Commercial" drill press in 1973 when I was 18 years old. I have used it a lot and it still works great after 35 years.

Who would have thought that Sears would still sell parts for such an old drill press. I had never even considered looking there.

Lynn Edwards
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Welcome to the forum, Lynn.

Harold
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Lynn Edwards wrote: Who would have thought that Sears would still sell parts for such an old drill press. I had never even considered looking there.
They stock parts for my 1952 Atlas lathe

Go to:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... dex.action
and put in your model number or part number.

You will get a parts diagram and parts list.

And this is not just for Sears stuff, you can get appliance parts for other brands. I've found it hand to get diagrams for just about anything, like when I had to take apart my A/C and my dryer.

Steve
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Yes, welcome Lynn Edwards good to have new folks with fresh ideas come on board.

Another FYI comment about Sears parts. Maybe 10 years ago Sears on line parts had much more to offer. Example the internal pivot arms for a 1940 benchtop jigsaw and nearly every operators manual for bench top and stationary tools. Remember these use to cost a dollar in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Well they were still listed for a dollar on the sears site along with Illustrated Parts Breakdown but there was also a download option for the manuals from which they could be printed for a hard copy. People started selling copies of the manuals on eBay about that time so they disappeared from the Sears site. In fact the diagrams offered today are much abbreviated from the former microfiesh - a lot fewer cutaways and zoom in views.

I noticed this help was available on appliances and garden tractors (I have some 1970's tractors built by Roper 3 w/Onan twin 16hp and 1 that is a Techumsi single cylinder OHV 16hp) also. Today there are few parts for the tractors and attachments and complete 16hp OHV engines ran out about 1996, Techumsi discontinued them about then and Sears only offered short blocks and Northern Hydraulics offered the complete engine for a couple of more years until old stock was depleted.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
LostBranchRanch

Re: craftsman drill press

Post by LostBranchRanch »

Just purchased a Craftsman 15 1/2 drill press with 1/2 h.p. motor, all in good condition...it's a cast iron beast! Only bummer that it doesn't have tilt table, but i did notice on the back side of the table a cast flange at what appears to be 45 degree angle...does anyone know of a modification or accessory? There is a threaded bottom center with holes above at various angles...?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Belts are belts and can be had from multiple sources as long as you know the correct size.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

After 14 years, I hope that Lynn Edwards found the belt.

My drill press doesn't have a tilt table either; the missing movement probably helps with rigidity.
Once or twice over the years, I wanted a tilt table but really the need has been very rare.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Hope so..sincebelt sizes really have not changed in my lifetime and I am considerably over 14 years old.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
chief

Post by chief »

I have a Craftsman bought in 1971 with the 45 degree flange, and yes it is for an aux tilting table, which I also have. It is fairly low tech, loosen the center bolt and a manual pin engages in of the drilled holes for common angles.

I don't know if the aux table is still available from sears, but eBay might be a possibility.

As a side note, this drill press has 8 speeds with a 1/4" vee belt, and I'm still on the originl belt 50 years later. (knock on wood)

Terry
TomB

Post by TomB »

I have the Craftsman Drill Press with the skinny belt. I bought it new in the 60's and did not see the belt until I got it home. I figured it would not last long and I could replace the pullies when the belt broke. It never did. I have use it often and mostly with drills from my 1/2" sets but I do have a set of bigger than 1/2" with reduced shanks that fit the 1/2" chuck. They work but barely. When using them I have to gently feed the chuck down while feeling or listening to the bit cutting. But even through all that the belt does not slip or break. I keep the belt in the slowest pulley groves only moving to a faster slit when the material I'm drilling tends to tear. I find the drill press works ok although my bearings are getting shop but I would not recommend it any alternative was available. In most cases today I use my 3-in-1 unless I have something set up in it I don't want to break down or the part I'm drilling won't fit on the 3-in-1 table.

Tom B
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

The old time Delta 18” drill press, DP 220’s all, had the same kind tilting table. Pin in the bottom, pull and set at 45*.

I’ll bet you could find one on eBay to use on your sears DP. I found one brand new old stock on ebay GEW years ago with NO dimple marks on it, and it changed out perfectly with my old existing pock marked one.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....