old jet 10x24, where can I find parts?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Rex B

nice work!

Post by Rex B »

So Graham, now that you are getting it squared away, would you consider making a few extras?
I bet my Enco 1024 has the same gear, though mine is still working. Still, if it's a weak spot I'd buy a spare.

Rex B
Ft Worth

rex@txol.net
gnorbury

Spares

Post by gnorbury »

I'm planning to make at least one spare for myself, so I think producing a few extra shouldn't be a big deal once I figure out a better way to gash the blank using a tool-post mounted dremel.

The good news is the hob shows little to no wear after two attempts. The bad news is that despite being "designed" for topping, the lack of relief means it performs more like a non-topping hob. The prototype gear was roughed out with a form tool, then the proper profile obtained by running the hob both on, above and below center. Rather time consuming...

One thing I probably won't do is drill the through-hole for the roll pin. The hole through the stub shaft on my lathe is off-center, and whilst I think the mfr would probably have standardized this, I think it'd be better to drill based on using the old gear as a template. Its a 4mm hole.

Graham

Post by Guest »

Graham, Youre the man.

That gear looks great, and I could really use one.

My email is seggway@yahoo.com, Let me know if you are willing to sell one.

I lost the old one, It was left with my dad, at his shop, and I'm willing to bet that he threw it away.
Anyway I can't put that 4mm hole in it for that reason.

Fletch
yankeeman

Re: old jet 10x24, where can I find parts?

Post by yankeeman »

Did you ever resolve the issue finding/making the worm gear?
rmac

Re: old jet 10x24, where can I find parts?

Post by rmac »

Yankeeman,

Welcome to the board!

This thread is about fifteen years old, and the guy who was making the gear hasn't been active for about ten years. So a response isn't likely from him.

I see from your profile that you're looking for parts of some kind? If you indicate exactly what you are trying to find, perhaps one or more of the current members can help you.

-- Russell Mac