old jet 10x24, where can I find parts?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

heli

old jet 10x24, where can I find parts?

Post by heli »

This seems to be a great site that is very active and has a lots of knowledgable members.

I am new to all of this and have been searching the internet a lot lately for info on finding this 19 tooth gear.

I am not great with the terms of these lathes so I might get the part names wrong.

I have a damaged gear with 19 teeth(brass, i think) that is under the carriage and rides on the leadscrew. It is supposed to drive one of the handwheels. I have called Jet and they said to call Machine-Tools Direct. I was told the part is not made anymore.

I've looked into gear making stuff(hobs), seems way out of my league. The only thing I know how to do on a lathe is reface automotive A/C clutches, and thats all this lathe is going to be for anyway.

Any kind of information or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Fletcher Grosz
heli

Post by heli »

I am pretty sure the part number for this gear is 10-0429A(B)
Herm Williams

Post by Herm Williams »

Hello
If there is a bearing house near you could take the gear to them and almost allways it can be matched. It is difficult to get one gear made but it can be done. I think the most difficult part would be the specifications for the gear.
re
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

It'd take about an hour to hand grind and hone a form gear cutter and set that up in a dividing head on a shaper. Another hour with the shaper and you'd have a gear. Where are you? Maybe one of us can help you out.
gnorbury

Ahh yes

Post by gnorbury »

Strange you should ask, but I'm in the process of attempting to cut a new 19T gear for my Jet 1024. By the sound of it we have the same problem - the gear in question engages a steel worm driven by the power feed bar. (Not the lead screw halfnuts)

The big issue (for me) is the worm appears to be 4.75mm pitch, which cannot be cut exactly by any of the Jet's inch or metric feed settings. With various experiments I've come pretty close, and believe the hob I've fabricated will probably cut a gear that will work, even if its not perfect.

As of yesterday, I've made two brass gear blanks, and am now improvising a method of attaching them to my tool post in order to begin hobbing. I

It'll probably be a few more weeks before I get done - based on available free time, so please let me know if you find a cost-effective solution sooner.

BTW "Rush Gear, Inc" quoted me $1500 to make 1-5 custom gears, which was almost more than I paid for the lathe.

Graham
gnorbury@bondcar.com

Post by Guest »

I appreciate all the feedback!

I not much of a machinist, yet I have repeatedly tried to figure out a way to make one myself. I looked into hob type stuff and it seems above my head. I have also searched the internet plenty, but have only made a few phone calls.

I am in central Florida.

I still have some energy and time to keep looking for a fix to this lathe, before I give up and just replace the whole thing.

Thanks for the info everybody.
gnorbury

Hobbing progress report

Post by gnorbury »

Started the hobbing process last night, and quickly learned a valuable lesson... DON'T lube with something that turns itself into grinding paste when brass filing start accumulating.

However, the good news is I do have a chunk-o-brass that is beginning to look something like a 19T worm gear. I'm going to cut a new hob (more carefully this time), harden it and continue where I left off.

If and when I make a good gear, I'll post here. Maybe we can work something out for cutting a second one.

Graham
heli

Post by heli »

Gnorbury, If you can get one made that works in your 10X24, I would be happy to buy a copy from you.

According to the people at Jet, in ALL of the Jet 10X24's that gear is the same. So that would be great if it works out.

BTW if you prefer some kind of trade I am in the automotive parts business and have connections for all kinds of stuff.

Thanks, Fletch
Rex B

Same deal here

Post by Rex B »

Hey guys
Another auto parts guy here. I have an Enco 1024, same basic lathe, also need a gear that I can't buy. Mine is simpler, a straight 16-tooth spur gear in the quick-change box. So far I haven't missed it, but I'd like to make it whole.
If we don't find a source of parts anytime soon, I'll probably try cutting it with a single-point tool.

Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth
gnorbury

One step backwards

Post by gnorbury »

Took an unfortunate step backward this weekend when I messed up my homebrew gear hob while experimenting with a different method of (grinding) the cutting teeth.

The first two hobs were made from W1 tool steel, which can only say was a total b*tch to cut with a form cutter while making a 4.7mm pitch (1.5mod) worm thread.

This time I'm going to try using 1144 medium carbon steel. Hopefully it will be significantly easier to machine, but yet still hard enough to cut the 932 alloy bronze gear blanks after it spends some quality time getting to know an Oxy torch and the kitchen stove.

Any comments from those of you experienced in the art of material selection? Hopefully I'm not heading down the wrong path again...

Graham
Harold_V

Re: One step backwards

Post by Harold_V »

gnorbury wrote:Took an unfortunate step backward this weekend when I messed up my homebrew gear hob while experimenting with a different method of (grinding) the cutting teeth.

The first two hobs were made from W1 tool steel, which can only say was a total b*tch to cut with a form cutter while making a 4.7mm pitch (1.5mod) worm thread.

This time I'm going to try using 1144 medium carbon steel. Hopefully it will be significantly easier to machine, but yet still hard enough to cut the 932 alloy bronze gear blanks after it spends some quality time getting to know an Oxy torch and the kitchen stove.

Any comments from those of you experienced in the art of material selection? Hopefully I'm not heading down the wrong path again...

Graham
You're on the right track. LaSalle sells Stressproof. Considering it's a medium carbon steel, as you suggested, it can be torch hardened, and is very nice to machine. Will it yield a cutting tool that is as good as tool steel? Likely not, but for limited use, it should be fine. Be certain to give us a report when you're finished.

Harold
gnorbury

Moving right along

Post by gnorbury »

Progress!

I've just cut my first 19T worm wheel by free-hobbing, and am fairly pleased with the way things turned out.

When I make the next one, I plan to slit in-line with the helix using a toolpost mounted Dremel & cutoff wheel. This one was straight slit with a broach, and as you can see it slightly marred the teeth at the edges.

Graham