Best cutoff tool profile?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Rich_Carlstedt

Re: Best cutoff tool profile?

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:16 pm A question that then comes to mind is any impurities in the steel. What is the allowance for impurities and how can that be checked? If a particular alloy is marketed as, say, M35, what is the level of permitted impurities and how can that be checked after the alloy has been created? And who does that checking?
In the USA, It is the steel mill that "certifies" the heat ( melt) . You know 4140 is not 4140 ?
Well, it is , but it has variations that many are not aware of . For example :
The Die shop I worked at did some very large dies , like 50,000 pounds net in our big dies .
But even our small dies ( 800 pounds) all had "AQ" steel. So we ordered 4140 AQ which is superior to 4140 you buy at a steel supplier.
The "AQ' Rating meant several things, first it was Aircraft Quality ( dig the name) and that meant good enough for aircraft components.
How does that come about ? well they Xray/ultrasound the steel and not only does it have Chemical certs ( we got) , but "inclusions" could not
exceed a size or quantity as the number was restricted . When the steel passed that level, it was AQ rated. I have horror stories about inclusions in steel we got from false vendors .
I have nothing to do with this mill nor did we buy from them , but in my experience , Carpenter Steel has some of the finest steel
I have ever worked with .. extremely consistent and reliable !

if that M 35 steel is made elsewhere, good luck, you have no guarantees . If you got it from Carpenter, i would no qualms !
Rich
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:53 pm but "inclusions" could not exceed a size or quantity as the number was restricted .
Good report, Rich.
On the subject of inclusions, imagine the concern when a batch of a few hundred brake pivot pins were sent to MRB when multiple inclusions were revealed by Magnaflux inspection. This was when I worked at Sperry Utah, where the Sergeant Guided Missile was built. The pins were the supports for the four "fins" that turned out from the body of the missile that controlled its trajectory (yep! brakes on a missile). It was a solid propellent missile, unable to be throttled. As for the pivot pins, after considerable review, they were deemed acceptable.

Materials are subject to flaws. I ran a number of primer removal punches for Dugway Proving Grounds (for dismantling obsolete artillery rounds), made of 3" diameter Stressproof. Several of them revealed a linear crack in the material upon being heat treated.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

The junk cutoff blades were Grizzly import tooling.
I bought my lathe and mill from Grizzly and had no complains about quality or customer service.
On the other hand, cutting tools are garbage. Not just Grizzly, all the importers get the same cheesium alloy.
I learned to stay away from Chinese cutting tools, their HSS is soft and carbide is brittle.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

https://www.aloris.com/aloris-products/ ... off-blades

AIN'T cheap, but most likely good steel.....

MSC also sells SECO cut-off blades -> a name which I trust.

Yes, I am employed by a company which owns SECO -> but that is not why I like them.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I buy tooling, blades, etc from the on line, Little machine Shop.com company once in awhile. Like everyone they source most of their product line from China. So far, they have been very conciencious about replacing bad tooling etc. they have also dropped Asian suppliers, and replaced others when they discover quality control issues. So I depend on them as retailers to help insure quality of the product line. In recent years I see theynhave almost completely dropped their low end “value” line of tooling. Most everything one on their web site appears to be high quality brand name suppliers.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:41 pm I buy tooling, blades, etc from the on line, Little machine Shop.com company once in awhile. Like everyone they source most of their product line from China. So far, they have been very conciencious about replacing bad tooling etc. they have also dropped Asian suppliers, and replaced others when they discover quality control issues. So I depend on them as retailers to help insure quality of the product line. In recent years I see theynhave almost completely dropped their low end “value” line of tooling. Most everything one on their web site appears to be high quality brand name suppliers.

Many years ago on here on Chaski someone had this in their sig line: "I can't afford to buy cheap tools." Something to think about. My dad, having come of age during the Great Depression, always bought the cheapest version of anything. And because of that I learned from Dad how to assemble a string of incandescent profanity.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.