stripping chrome.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

plunger

stripping chrome.

Post by plunger »

Hope someone here has done this. I want to remove the badly damaged chrome off from a shower mixer and have the natural brass look.
I tried this using electrolysis but it damaged and pitted the brass pity bad.

Also I see that some commercially sold shower mixers have a brushed brass look which looks like brass but has brush strokes of darker brass in it which looks quite nice and then has what looks like a clear coat on it. Do you get a clear powder coat paint as it seems much more durable than 2k clearcoat.
Bill Shields

Re: stripping chrome.

Post by Bill Shields »

it's tough -> since anything that attacks the chrome is going to ding the brass also.

HCL is the only way of which I am aware to remove it

natural brass...well...it's eventually a polishing nightmare.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Re: stripping chrome.

Post by Harold_V »

Sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid will each remove chrome, but each of them also have a strong appetite for zinc, which is a part of brass. When you subject the pieces to either of them you can expect the surface to be leached free of zinc, leaving behind a honeycomb of copper which has little strength and is porous. For those reasons, you'd be best served to remove the chrome mechanically---perhaps with a buffing wheel. The parts should lend themselves fairly well to that process, as they have to be buffed to be plated.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.