Mitutoyo caliper not working

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Mitutoyo caliper not working

Post by Mr Ron »

My Mitutoyo 6" digital caliper overnight started displaying a 5-dash blinking pattern. I thought it was telling me to change the battery, so that is what I
did. It still blinks the 5-dash pattern, so it was not the battery. Any ideas out there as to how to fix the tool?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
mklotz

Re: Mitutoyo caliper not working

Post by mklotz »

With the battery removed, try shorting the two battery terminals together. May not work but can't harm anything. This technique has solved similar problems on other electronic devices, though I can't remember ever needing it on my Mitutoyo devices.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Try removing the screws on the rear under the sticker and clean the circuit board with contact cleaner and reassemble.
Never had this problem with a mitutoyo, only the cheap throw away calipers.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Close calipers, Press and hold the origin button untill display reads 0.000

Found solution on internet I have not tried this
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I tried all the suggestions, but nothing worked. Checked online and the read head cost more than the whole caliper to replace. The caliper is about 5 years old and never dropped or abused.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

My 27 year old 6" is still working perfectly, the 8" 6 year old failed due to a black screen, not worth repairing.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I checked with Mitutoyo and a technician walked me through all the possibilities and concluded that the caliper was bad. I have always treated my caliper with the utmost care. I bought a Mitutoyo because it was supposed to be the best caliper on the market. I would suggest that anyone thinking about buying a Miyutoyo (any tool) to dig deeply to see if they are as good as they claim.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

My 100 percent mechanical Mitutoyo caliper is still working great after many years of service. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D