Hand files - how to evaluate?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Hand files - how to evaluate?

Post by Bill Shields »

You can never have too many files.

Even in their after-life they can become good scrapers
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

SteveM wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:28 pm I have no experience with these guys, but others have made favorable comments.
They sharpen files using steam-driven liquid abrasives:
https://boggstool.com/file-%26-rasp-services
I have used them multiple times for files, endmills and other cutters. They are the best. The files are quite sharp after they're done. IIRC, they may grind off the manufacturer's name on files? Good prices. Nice people.

SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:24 pm Even in their after-life they can become good scrapers
I had a garage sale and there was a box of old files which was bought by a guy who forges knives, so they can be reincarnated.

Steve
Andy R

Hand files - chalk works great!

Post by Andy R »

RSG,
I took the same new file and cleaned it with a soft brass wire brush, then chalked it as suggested before finishing the filing work described in my 3/4-inch Cincinnatian build. Boy, what a difference. The file seemed to cut better and there was no build-up of material (pinning). Once the work was done, the file was brushed to displace the chalk and it was clean! I'm sold on the chalking of files from now on.

Rich,
Your file collection is awesome ...very nice storage too.
Andy R

When does a hand file cut best?

Post by Andy R »

Not giving up on my initial question, I found my copy of the book "SHOP THEORY" from the Henry Ford Trade School. My grandfather's cousin was a graduate of that in 1942. Chapter 9 addresses files and filing and includes the following regarding when a hand file cuts best:

"After a file has cut about 2500 strokes, or after it has removed about one cubic inch of material because at that time most of the cutting edges will be in contact with the work. [This is for machine-made files.] It must be remembered however after continued use the worn down edges will continue to cut less and less until the life of the file is destroyed."

For a performance criterion the "cuts best" after 2500 strokes or removal of one cubic inch of "material" (mild steel?) at least is somewhat measurable.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Over the years, on internet model engineering boards, eventually someone always asks "What's your most-used workshop tool?" The usual answers are lathe, drill press, maybe mill, etc, but I always answer "File", . . . because it's my most frequently used tool.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN