digital readouts Amazon sells

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

Re: digital readouts Amazon sells

Post by armscor 1 »

Hi Guys, installed a YH Sino DRO on my lathe, the cross slide glass scale is the much smaller in width than standard scales so minimal loss of tailstock movement which I brought back to factory specs by making a longer tailstock Quill.
I have shortened glass scales with minimum fuss, milling out a section of the housing and cutting the glass with a diamond burr and dremel.
Attachments
IMG20220721084553.jpg
JimGlass

Re: digital readouts Amazon sells

Post by JimGlass »

Thanks for all the replies. I could live without a DRO on my lathe but after having one for a long time I'll miss not having one on my lathe. The Sony I have was in the dumpster at work. I was told I could have it but it only had one scale.
A new scale 40" long was $1100. I spent days calling around, found a Sony dealer in Ohio, I think, that had the exact scale I needed in stock. He told me he didn't think it would ever sell so he offered it to me at his cost, $600 so I bought it.
So, my Sony DRO cost me $600 :D :D :D .
After about 12 years the display died but there was a business card taped to the back. I called and the party and they had a used DRO same as mine for $200 so I bought it. Today I have no idea who I called, doubtful they would have a replacement anyway.
Thanks again, Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com