Mini snap ring pliers recommendation

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Mini snap ring pliers recommendation

Post by whateg0 »

I need to take the new rubber flex chuck apart to address the alignment key issue. The snap ring is smaller than any of my snap ring pliers will handle. My smallest set has pins that are 0.045" and they won't go in the holes. I thought about making a new set of tips for them but wondered if y'all have any recommendations for a decent set. I looked online and it's hard to get a good feel for the quality of a set. I know a bunch of the ones on Amazon arrive with bent tips or other quality issues but for the money maybe it's worth the risk?
NP317

Re: Mini snap ring pliers recommendation

Post by NP317 »

I have machined plier tips to fit my needs.
If you only had a lathe...
:lol:
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have made a set out of.a pair of hemostats....assuming you want to squeeze the ears

Patience and a belt sander / files got me to the end result.

Did not look like much but got the job done
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

NP317 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:29 am I have machined plier tips to fit my needs.
If you only had a lathe...
:lol:
RussN
Yeah if only! I almost made some last night but it was getting late so I decided to think about it. I'll probably end up doing that. The $20 sets online seem to be pretty crappy. The good sets tend to be way more than $20. This is why my projects take years to complete!
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:18 am I have made a set out of.a pair of hemostats....assuming you want to squeeze the ears

Patience and a belt sander / files got me to the end result.

Did not look like much but got the job done
I've made bigger snap ring pliers out of needlenose pliers before. Now I have a decent set for bigger stuff. I might end up making this yet.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

I bought a snap ring plier from a auto parts store eons ago, served me very well with machine tool to auto
repairs, it's reversable for inner and outer snap rings ( inner 3/8 - 2" Ext - 1/4 - 2" ) and has
replaceable tips ( that can be bought from McMaster ). Replaceable tip sizes are - .036 , .047, .070

KDtools #3151

I looked into it and KD Tools is now Gearwrench, it looks like the int/ext actuation is different too
mine has a buttons the newer one has a lever it seems.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Looks like that one functions a lot like the Quinn model I picked up today at hf. It certainly worked.

i have a couple sets with removable pins already but they are missing some of the pins and I always found them to bend way to easily. I can't recall who made them but they have a linkage that flips to change from internal to external. Always thought they were pretty clever except for the pins. Tbf, since those were all I had they got used for everything, including stuff that was too big. I would just flip the pins around.

One thing I noticed today using the new ones is that the pin is always machined concentric to the outside of the hex stock. For tiny snap rings like this one, it almost doesn't go close enough to release so I thought I might still have to make my own, but it did barely work.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

I have some Channel Lock brand that are pretty decent except for the problem with very small snap rings as Whateg0 described. Beware of the stamped ones that don't have interchangeable pins. I had one of those of adequate size snap when I was installing an AR-15 barrel snap ring. It hit the end of the shop 30 feet away. Found it a couple of days later within 3' of where I had been standing when the pin broke.