Cut Off Toll Holder Hardware Source?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcman56

Cut Off Toll Holder Hardware Source?

Post by mcman56 »

I have an old very basic cut off tool holder and managed to break the wedge type clamping component. (I never realized it was such a poor design.) I don't remember where I got it but it came with a Made in India blade. It probably has little value but I would like to repair if possible. I don't even know what to call the hardware piece. It is sort of a wedge on the end of a threaded rod but made as one piece. See pictures. Can these be purchased anywhere?
cut off hardware1.JPG
cut off hardware 2.JPG
whateg0

Re: Cut Off Toll Holder Hardware Source?

Post by whateg0 »

I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody selling parts to one of those holders. IMHO, if it's a poor design, and you have the machinery to make a new, better one, why not do so?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Same thoughts here.
I don't know of parts venders for those items, but a machine shop provides the solution.
RussN
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I'm having trouble picturing how those pieces fit together. Clearly the screw goes through the bigger piece. I can't imagine the location of the smaller piece, or why the screw looks like it does. Without the rest, it looks like the screw was cut almost in half and then the remaining half broke.

What does your tool holder look like? Mine is similar to this.
OXA-Quick-Change-250-007-1__19709__03445.jpg
The aloris looks a little different, as do some others, so they aren't all the same.

Edit: just figured out, you have one like this:
B3009_org.1435535489.jpg
B3009_org.1435535489.jpg (10.62 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
That ought to be even easier. If you aren't able to make one, send me the parts and I'll toss one together for you. I would be tempted to start with a grade 8 bolt. Machine the head to be the wedge part, then either make a new square nut, or use a heavy hex nut.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I made the wedge part because thin blades would not clamp sqaure. The new wedge has a step forming a groove with the other plane of the holder.
Take 1/2 an hour to make once you find the smallest piece of metal to use.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

"I made the wedge part because thin blades would not clamp sqaure. The new wedge has a step forming a groove with the other plane of the holder.
Take 1/2 an hour to make once you find the smallest piece of metal to use."

I don't understand this statement but never thought of making one from an existing bolt. The shape is similar to a 82 degree CS screw. The odd thing is that the threaded part is 0.350 diameter and looks sort of like an acme screw. A 3/8 CS screw may work.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks more acute than 82. The thread could be acme but again it's hard to tell if it's that or just a poorly formed or worn 60 degree thread. No matter really. If you make a new nut for it, it can be whatever you can make or source.

I'm curious what the female taper looks like. Surely they are not just both conical, but I guess as long as the male never gets drawn in far enough to seat in the female, it probably works ok.
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

The female taper has some shiny spots so it looks like it gets contact.
cut tool holder.JPG
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

The "threaded rod with wedge head" that broke looks like a standard flat head screw, with half the head ground off. Could you just find an appropriate screw and take an angle grinder to the head to match the original?
flathead.jpg
flathead.jpg (10.08 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

The angle was different than a standard flat head screw. However, the idea of using a standard hex head bolt worked great. I only had a grade 5 but it seems adequate. Thanks for the idea.

https://ibb.co/wYGvspR

https://ibb.co/pfbf0r6

https://ibb.co/bWnnJh9