Cutting Narrow Snap Ring Groove?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Cutting Narrow Snap Ring Groove?

Post by liveaboard »

The blade was ground several times but had a few broken teeth.
I have a stack to send out one of these days; I think there's a shop up north I can mail them to.

I've used a few of them now; they're 2.7mm wide but I ground one down to 1mm without trouble.
That might still be too wide for the OP's need though.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

In regards to using the side of a grinding wheel, it is not recommended, but for finish grinding of cutting tools it's pretty much mandatory. So long as little pressure is applied, it isn't much of a concern.

A tip. When grinding thin tools, keep the wheel very finely dressed (but not with a diamond dresser). Any bounce in the wheel tends to lead to a broken tool end.

A sintered silicon carbide dressing stick is my choice for dressing wheels on my tool grinder. I avoid using the flat surface so the wheel isn't glazed. I avoid the Norbide dressers because they tend to glaze the wheel, and diamond leaves the wheel such that it tends to cut hot and requires greater pressure for grinding.

When trying to hit a given width, very light grinding pressure is very desirable, and you must have the ability to feel the tool against the wheel.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I use bandsaw or hacksaw blades and just mount them in a ordinary 1/2" cutoff tool holder
Here is a picture when I parted off some 1 mm Nuts
Rich
Bandsaw Blade Cutoff .jpg