Cutting Narrow Snap Ring Groove?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcman56

Cutting Narrow Snap Ring Groove?

Post by mcman56 »

I need to cut an external snap ring groove on a 1/4" 303 SS shaft. McMaster Carr web site calls for the groove to be just 0.010 deep and 0.029" wide. I will only need to make one so would like to avoid buying a custom tool. At 0.010 deep any radius would seem bad. I have a few Ideas how to do this but am not particularity fond of any. Are there any recommendations?
1. It would seem pretty difficult to grind down a cutoff tool that narrow by hand. Are there any techniques or advice that can help? Is this the best option?
2. Looking on line, some people use a hack saw blade. I have one that measures 0.029" so that is close but how do you hold it? Would that leave a radius?
3. I have a 1 1/2" diameter HSS saw blade 0.032" wide but I don't know how I would hold that either.
4. The narrowest thing I have is a coping saw blade at 0.024". The package says something about heat treated but I have no idea if that would be hard enough or how I would hold it.
Thanks,
Dan
Attachments
saw.JPG
Bill Shields

Re: Cutting Narrow Snap Ring Groove?

Post by Bill Shields »

I have done it in all of the ways you are considering.

The saw generally works but you need to keep it spinning unless you can positively locate one tooth relative to the centerline of your shaft.

Generally speaking, there is often no way around grinding a tool unless you want it $ one. PH Horn sells most everything imaginable..but hang on to $
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

Would you recommend one over the others?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I have always carefully ground a HSS tool to the required thickness or less, - with proper side relief. A second offset cut can always be made to achieve the specified slot thickness, if required.
Yes it takes time to carefully grind the tool, but then the turning job goes quickly.
And I now have a small box with different width slotting tools for future use.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

What RussN said.
Until one is capable of hand grinding lathe tools in HSS, he/she will be held captive.

Thin grooving tools are not that hard to grind, not even to proper size. Takes a little practice.
One thing that is VERY helpful is to lose the grinding rest. All it does is get in the way.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I ground a hss cutoff tool down for making thin grooves.
I also made several from carbide, using an old saw blade.

I made internal ones using the sawblade teeth too.

All of these worked very well, and I've set many snaprings internal and external.
thin groove cutter.jpg
internal groove cutter 2.jpg
clip groove.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i grind my own cutting bits...it is a pain, but most of them have been in use on and off for 40+ years....

Live Aboard's suggestion works, but tough to do on very thin tools since they overheat so quickly when hit with the torch.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

NP317 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:19 am Yes it takes time to carefully grind the tool, but then the turning job goes quickly.
Someone once told me:
You can spend 30 minutes grinding a tool and 5 minutes doing the cut,
or you can spend 5 minutes grinding the tool and 30 minutes making the cut.
Your choice.

Steve
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

Thanks for this advice. I went ahead and tried grinding the end of a cut off tool to size and it was far easier than I expected. On this same subject, are the sides of narrow grinding wheels rated for side grinding? My grinder is a very basic 6" grinder with thin wheel. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a wheel rated for side grinding. I guess I would then need a tool rest for the side.
Retaining Ring.JPG
grinder.JPG
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Sharpening a 10" 80 tooth carbide saw blade is not worth the time but cutting out one tooth like Liveboard did show is a great idea.
I have done the same thing and then sharpened that one edge with a diamond stone.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I don't know about that. There are cheap 10" blades out there, but if I am paying more than $50 for a blade, I can see the value in getting a little more life out of it. Now, if I didn't have the ability to sharpen it and had to pay to have it sharpened, any value in resharpening is probably lost.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

tornitore45 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:02 pm Sharpening a 10" 80 tooth carbide saw blade is not worth the time ...
We used to have a guy that would sharpen a 60-tooth carbide saw blade for $11.

Sadly, he is gone and his shop probably got scrapped as there was nobody interested in taking over a fully operational home business with more customers than you could shake a stick at.

Steve