Bushing material question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Bushing material question

Post by liveaboard »

Bill;
Mine is an Italian 1985 SAME Mercury 85.
Same is now part of the SDF conglomerate (Same Deutz Fahr)
3.5 tons dry, 4wd, 85HP, and a zillion hours used when I bought the neglected wreck 10 years ago.
It's too big for me most of the time, but every now and then the capacity comes in handy, like when I need to lift my milling machine.
I hopped up the hydraulic system from 175 to 225 bar so it can lift a bit more than before. Oversize pump and added circuits.
I've repaired it a lot, too much to list, mostly it's ok now but the motor is getting pretty smoky and needs some attention.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

Drill undersize and bore to size. That was my plan. Slow-ish surface speed. Thanks!

I am familiar with that bronze squeal!

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

liveaboard--

It sounds like a very usable machine! No special diesel exhaust considerations on a machine from 1985? No computers involved! Plenty of weight and horsepower to match. Enhanced hydraulics. What's not to like?

I use mine extensively in the forest. I use the backhoe to take down trees. At first, I cut them down and used the backhoe to remove the stumps. Well, that was dumb. A stump is a lot easier to remove if there is a tree attached.

Mine is also 4wd. Yours is a little heavier and has twice the horsepower. I like it.

I use the Komatsu skid steer to move the mill and other equipment. It weighs four tons. I move a lot of rock and dirt and trees with it, as well. I would be lost without either of those machines, for sure. I read that a wheeled, diesel skid steer is the least maintenance piece of equipment. So far, so good.

--Bill
You are what you write.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of electronic engine controls on tractors.
Really old ones like mine (and older) will probably live longer than the later models with CPUs that only the factory can repair.

On the other hand; it does smoke something awful.
It's air cooled, so the pistons never fit quite right.
One of these days, I'll pull the barrels off (it has 4 separate barrels and heads) and see what's in there.
Word is pistons and barrels come as a complete set for big bucks, but maybe there are oversize to be found.

The weight is sometimes useful but I've never needed all the HP. Usually I use high speed PTO and run 1/2 engine speed.

There are some tractor videos I made on my youtube channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzzqC ... T9PLvfRQ_Q
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

liveaboard--

Ha! I started with the brush cutter. I had actually seen it quite some time ago in my YouTube surfing! I'll watch the rest of them.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

liveaboard wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:14 pm Yeah, I'm not a fan of electronic engine controls on tractors.
Really old ones like mine (and older) will probably live longer than the later models with CPUs that only the factory can repair.

On the other hand; it does smoke something awful.
It's air cooled, so the pistons never fit quite right.
One of these days, I'll pull the barrels off (it has 4 separate barrels and heads) and see what's in there.
Word is pistons and barrels come as a complete set for big bucks, but maybe there are oversize to be found.

The weight is sometimes useful but I've never needed all the HP. Usually I use high speed PTO and run 1/2 engine speed.

There are some tractor videos I made on my youtube channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzzqC ... T9PLvfRQ_Q
HOWEVER....when your brand new John Deer Combine gets relocated from Ukraine to Russia -> it sure is nice to be able to just tell it 'DO NOT RUN'.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Wow! Amazing amount of torque that tractor has! It does more work at an idle than my little 16 horse Kubota does at full throttle.

Nice job of moving that 20' container.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

thanks;
Yeah, but it probably uses as much fuel at idle as your Kubota does at full throttle too!

People asked me why I got such a large tractor when my place is just 10 acres; because small tractors cost too much.
Here in Portugal, small farmers usually don't buy tractors. They use a mule, and/ or hire a full size tractor from a neighbor (they do that a lot).
So there are lots of lot full size tractors but very few smaller size ones.

Mule might sound horrible, but one neighbor always has one and it's quite practical for him.
No license, no fuel cost, no insurance, no inspection for his mule cart. And that mule comes running when he calls, it's like a pet.

Anyway, the only thing I don't use my farm tractor for is farming. I let the locals grow the food and I buy it for cash.

I had to replace the front tires; $900!!! And they were the cheapest available.
Gear / hydraulic oil 15 gallons, engine oil 2.5 gallons.
Other than that, it's great.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

And no veterinarian bills!
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

seal killer wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:37 pm Ronald--

Hey! Those bearings would cost me $3.65 each and would have prevented me from spending 83 bucks and change on a piece of phosphor bronze that I do not how to machine! Where's the fun in that? :)

--Bill
I have to agree. Besides, you would miss out on seeing just how tough phosphor bronze is. I had a piece that I thought was brass until I started to hacksaw off a little piece to make a front sight bead. Mild steel is easier to saw.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

David2011 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:44 pm I have to agree. Besides, you would miss out on seeing just how tough phosphor bronze is. I had a piece that I thought was brass until I started to hacksaw off a little piece to make a front sight bead. Mild steel is easier to saw.
You'd have enjoyed much better success had you started with an unused blade for your hacksaw. Once a blade has touched steel the keen edge is gone, so trying to saw what is a good bearing material is made far more difficult. The dulled blade gladly floats on the bronze. You can further assist the endeavor by lifting the blade on the return stroke, assuring you don't dull the sharp edge prematurely.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold and All--

Harold, drilling the phosphor bronze went exactly as you predicted: very smooth. I got that bronze squeal on my first pass and knew not to go that deep again. I spent quite a bit of time drilling the hole where a pro would have taken no time at all. Still, I enjoyed it.

I pecked at it and backed out cleaning both the hole and bit often. I used plenty of lube; Rustlick with water, 5:1. I used a 15/32" screw length drill bit. (I think it is screw length; short, anyway.)

Now I need to bore that hole to fit my 1/2" axle. I have two problems. The first is that I don't have any lathe boring tool holders. The second is that I don't know how to do it.

However, I did not let any of those minor details stop me. I grabbed one of my Borite bars for the mill and clamped it's round shank in my tool post. I took about 0.013" just to see what would happen. The finish is horrible. I am not sure if I bored rather than rubbed the bronze out.

I set the insert at center height using a center mounted in a drill chuck in the tailstock. I "eyed" the insert to get it level.

There are any number of problems I may have. But the two I think may be the main culprits are wrong insert and level instead of whatever it is supposed to be.

Here's a picture.
boring phosphor bronze.jpg
As always, I appreciate any help you and anyone may give me.
--Bill
You are what you write.