Fathers Day ideas are out

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

curtis cutter

Fathers Day ideas are out

Post by curtis cutter »

I was reading an article about what to get grandpa for Fathers Day.
There were suggestions of room air conditioners, weighted blankets, books about golf courses or magic tricks and garden spades for actual work. I am 68 years old, if you all want to see me live to be 78 years old best you not sit me down with a book and tell me I am susceptible to heat related injuries and on a warm day I should probably avoid any form of exertion and sit in my easy chair...
The only positive things about the articles were advertisements from Summit Racing, Granger and Home Depot.
How about getting me a couple more spools of wire for my MIG welder or a gallon of Way Oil. You know, something I can use.
Just a little vent here as to how society perceives us after retirement.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
NP317

Re: Fathers Day ideas are out

Post by NP317 »

Curtis:
You made me LOL!

At 72 y.o. I recognize growing physical limitations as my various limb joints are wearing out. (Brain cells be damned.)
I've already got one bionic knee, the other one is getting cranky, and one shoulder is rebuilt while the other one is hurting.
So...
Rather than settling into my easy chair, I am now operating my new compact tractor taking care of our acreage. Lots to do...
Having such a body amplifier allows me to do as much work in 4 hours as used to take me one week or more!

So...Get old, get out and get busy. Not to mention time in The Shop making railroad parts and assemblies.
"Live long and prosper."
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

curtis cutter wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:59 amI was reading an article about what to get grandpa for Fathers Day...Just a little vent here as to how society perceives us after retirement.

Not to get political or anything, but I get irked by how men of any age are portrayed today, especial white men. If one is to believe what they see on TV, we mostly don't exist any more. When we do exist, we are portrayed as klutzes who can’t tie our shoes or make rational decisions, let alone actually do anything useful. That, of course, is the polar opposite of reality—every guy I know who is about my age has skills and abilities that make them very useful.

As for the infirmities that come with old age, they’re unavoidable and will tend to get worse with time. That doesn’t mean you have to acquiesce to them. I’ve had to fight some significant medical maladies over the last 15 years, but I haven't let them get in my way. I’ve simply substituted some brain for brawn and have assumed it will take a little longer to finish the job than in the past.

Of course, I’m a white male, so there is some question as to whether I do have some brain. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

NP317 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:21 amAt 72 y.o. I recognize growing physical limitations as my various limb joints are wearing out. (Brain cells be damned.)

Fortunately, my joints are still in good shape—I’m five years older than you. Now, if only I could say the same thing about my heart... :cry:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
David2011

Post by David2011 »

Yesterday I was privileged to meet a fascinating gentleman, at least 10; maybe 15 years my senior. I’m pretty close to the age of Curtis, the OP. Through a mutual friend he opened his home shop up to me to use his Bridgeport mill. By choice he and his wife have lived in an apartment near their house since it flooded during hurricane Harvey. The house is an extension of his shop now. He’s in his shop almost every day and told me that he would probably have died three years ago had it not been for his shop. Like many of us, the need to remain physically and mentally active is a crucial part of our existence. It was also pretty awesome that he was helping a young man build a live steam locomotive.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I've been known to buy my own gifts in advance, and give thanks for the thoughtful gift. This year I got a thermal camera, which will be quite handy in the shop and in quite a few other places. On a hot day, I noticed areas on the ceiling that were more than 20F warmer than most of it. Sure I could climb up and look at the insulation, but now I have motivation and a map of where to look.

Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...