Help with information on this tool

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Help with information on this tool

Post by Harold_V »

One is never too old to learn new things, and I am of the opinion that there is way too much I don't know. The source of knowledge can come from a myriad of places, including those who are in the learning phase of most anything.

Your comment that the piece you knurled came out smaller than the starting diameter tells it all. Any pressed knurl will increase diameter unless the knurl is repeated time and again, in the process shedding fine particles of metal. That doesn't happen with stainless, as it work-hardens quickly and prevents that action. It happens easily with aluminum. Telltale signs of that function are the "aluminum paint" type discharge from the knurling tool.

Glenn's observation that the rolls make contact beyond the corner makes sense, too. It would be an interesting experience to play with one of those tools!

Thanks for your efforts.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

Harold,

Book a trip to South Africa for you and the wife to come on safari.

While here you are welcome to come play with my tool [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

atunguyd wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:42 pm Book a trip to South Africa for you and the wife to come on safari.
It's a long ride down but beautiful place to visit. I did some work in Port Elizabeth years ago. Visited Addo and Shamwari before coming home.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

atunguyd wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:42 pm While here you are welcome to come play with my tool [emoji23][emoji23]
Hmmmmmm.

Kinky!! :lol:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

Harold_V wrote:
atunguyd wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:42 pm While here you are welcome to come play with my tool [emoji23][emoji23]
Hmmmmmm.

Kinky!! [emoji38]

H
No I was talking about the one with the two round things that makes shafts easier to grip [emoji23]

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

atunguyd wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:34 pm No I was talking about the one with the two round things that makes shafts easier to grip [emoji23]
snicker :wink:

H
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

At our shop one of the guys there does most of the cut knurls Us on 8 to 10" rolls about 5 feet long. Then they get sent to be chromed. Used in sawmills.
The knurl is very deep and coarse, nothing you would want to grab with your hands.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

Richard_W wrote:At our shop one of the guys there does most of the cut knurls Us on 8 to 10" rolls about 5 feet long. Then they get sent to be chromed. Used in sawmills.
The knurl is very deep and coarse, nothing you would want to grab with your hands.
I think it depends on the pitch of the wheels. Mine are only 0.8mm which means that the knurl height is only 0.4mm