HF Bandsaw near perfect out of the box!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

paindoc

HF Bandsaw near perfect out of the box!

Post by paindoc »

Just assembled (solo) one of the ubiquitous 4x6 band saws from Harbor Freight. Had watched many YT videos and reviews, so I was ready for a battle.

Other than the expected fight with the pitiful sheet metal stand, this thing leaped together! Blade runs true, and cuts all the way thru stock, and the auto-stop switch does as desired. First cuts in 1.5" 6061 are beautiful! Square and clean.

I can see the need to replace the blade, as the weld is pretty rough and causes a harmonic to show on the surface of the cut, but that harmonic is too subtle to feel - just enough to be optically visible.

Pretty amazing for a $350 saw.

PS - If anyone ever faces building one of these top-heavy assemblies solo, turn the entire cast machine upside down on a bed of the styrofoam from the packing, and assemble the base in that position. Then turn the assembly over end-for-end. Put the wheels on last.
IMG_2129.jpeg
SteveR

Re: HF Bandsaw near perfect out of the box!

Post by SteveR »

I have one of those and I can't tell you how much time it has saved. Make sure you buy good blades.
If I had to do it all over again, it would be on my top 5 tools list.
Lathe
Mill
Bandsaw
Mig welder
Disc/belt sander

SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)