Design book recommendations?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

hobgobbln

Design book recommendations?

Post by hobgobbln »

I searched “design book” here and went through the first few pages of results. Most things came back for steam topics.

I’m looking for something like a Handbook but with generic design principals. I’m constantly building odd mechanical things for people and spend forever researching things. The biggest time waster though is that I don’t always know what I’m looking for.

For example: I just roughly quoted a job that will require something like a big thrust bearing. A normal thrust bearing is too small and a slewing bearing for an excavator is beyond overkill. I know what it needs to do and I know how it needs to work, but I don’t know how to find or build something that may fall in between and do what I need it to. A bearing book is loaded full of great calculations and applications but in a weird scenario like mine, I need to figure out what I may be looking for first. Maybe I’d be better off making some delrin plates that could slide against each other? I have no idea. But if I were to go that route, what are some pitfalls or design considerations to plan for?

It’s not just the bearing example I’m looking for either. Just general machine design info. Books on tolerances, gears calculations, welding symbols, linkages and material strengths are great, but for farther along in the design process. I’m trying to find generic info for initial design principals.

Anyone ever seen anything like that or am I asking for a unicorn?

Griz
earlgo

Re: Design book recommendations?

Post by earlgo »

Do you want the library list or just the first entries?
Machinery's Handbook
Mechanical Engineer's Handbook by Marks
Manual of Steel Construction
Design of welded Structures
Elements of Machine Design
Mechanics of Machinery
Formulas for Stress and Strain by Rourk
Engineering Mechanics
Engineering Design
etc.
It took some of us 4-5 years and a LOT of study time to collect all the books.
:lol:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
hobgobbln

Post by hobgobbln »

The Engineer's Handbook by Marks looks like the closest place to start. From the descriptions I read, it sounds like they give sources throughout the book to get more specific about a topic. Maybe those will at least point me towards the right rabbit holes to go down.

I suppose what I was asking for probably doesn't actually exist. That would be too easy. In the mean time you'll all just have to put up with the little kid in me who never outgrew asking ridiculous hypotheticals and "but why?" every 5 minutes :lol:

Thanks for the lead earlgo
Griz
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have my father's Marks from when he graduated Purdue in 1933 and a newer copy that he gave me as a graduation present in 1974.

Both are very tattered and worn but worth their weight in gold.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

To gain the knowledge you seek you need to read, read, read, and talk to knowledgeable people.
For reading I'd suggest back issues of Machine Design magazine, the Home Shop Machinist, and Model Engineer's Work Shop. You Tube is not bad for getting ideas, either.
Knowledgeable people may be difficult in this day and age.
Joining a model engineering club may be the answer here. I certainly found my memberships in 3 such clubs productive and worthwhile.
hobgobbln

Post by hobgobbln »

Thanks for the suggestions
rklopp

Post by rklopp »

Shigley’s Mechanical Engineering Design is one of the bible’s of the profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

rklopp wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:17 pm Shigley’s Mechanical Engineering Design is one of the bible’s of the profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For mechanical engineering calculations it is indeed invaluable.
For generating design ideas... not so much.