Seeking advice on manson engine

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Alex.M

Seeking advice on manson engine

Post by Alex.M »

I've been working on a manson engine designed by Mr.rmac.
This is the first time for me making any kind of external combustion engine at all. Therefore any information with regard to the manson engine would be appreciated very much.

I will add some pictures of what we have done so far.
Attachments
Manson engine designed by Mr.rmac
Manson engine designed by Mr.rmac
Piston + clevis
Piston + clevis
Cylinder block
Cylinder block
Piston head
Piston head
25mm test tube (22.3mm inside diameter)
25mm test tube (22.3mm inside diameter)
21mm test tube (18.3mm inside diameter)
21mm test tube (18.3mm inside diameter)
rmac

Re: Seeking advice on manson engine

Post by rmac »

Alex,

Welcome to the forum! Looks good so far. Hint: You will get more and better help from the folks here if you ask specific questions. It's hard for us to respond to requests for "any information".

Do I remember correctly that you are part of a team of high school students in Japan?

-- Russell Mac
Alex.M

Post by Alex.M »

Thank you very much!

Yes, we are high school students from Japan.

I did see the message you sent about the displacer test tube. And have adjusted the smaller test tube so that it is 5 or 6 mm longer than the initial design.

I didn't know how to reply to your message here and I think I've ended up posting a comment on my own thread...
rmac

Post by rmac »

Alex.M wrote: I didn't know how to reply to your message here and I think I've ended up posting a comment on my own thread...
You did it right. The thread will just get longer and longer as the conversation continues.

-- Russell Mac
Alex.M

Post by Alex.M »

rmac wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:44 pm
Alex.M wrote: I didn't know how to reply to your message here and I think I've ended up posting a comment on my own thread...
You did it right. The thread will just get longer and longer as the conversation continues.

-- Russell Mac
Thank you very much!

We had a question regarding the cylinder support pylon. We noticed there was a hole going through the middle. However, we're not sure what it's for...

--Alex
Attachments
IMG_20220609_110900.jpg
IMG_20220609_110920.jpg
rmac

Post by rmac »

There is a small tapped hole in the Cylinder Block that lines up with the hole in the Cylinder Support Pylon. When the engine is assembled, a piece of 10-32 threaded rod screws into the Cylinder Block, and extends down through holes in the Cylinder Support Pylon, the Mounting Plate, the Platform, and the Base. There is a counterbore in the bottom of the base to accommodate a nut and a washer that then clamps the whole assembly together.

A second, similar (but shorter) piece of threaded rod attaches the Flywheel Support Pylon to the Mounting Plate, the Platform, and the Base in the same manner.

These threaded rods should be long enough to extend far enough into the counterbores in the Base to fully engage the nuts, but not so long that they protrude beyond the bottom surface of the Base.

The plans don't show these threaded rods anywhere, but the READ_THIS_FIRST.txt file does list them among the purchased parts.

-- Russell Mac
Alex.M

Post by Alex.M »

Sorry for not posting anything for the past month. We experienced a few set backs concerning the cylinder block. Added to that, we had end of term exams which we could not fail and resulted in us not having any progress.

We've finally finished our exams and managed to make a new cylinder block and are almost able to construct the engine!!
We've only got the base and connecting rod to go and we are hoping to be able to construct the first model of the manson tomorrow.
However, we understand that it is not likely to move smoothly on the first try so we will probably be working on the manson throughout the summer holidays.
Alex.M

Post by Alex.M »

rmac wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:20 am There is a small tapped hole in the Cylinder Block that lines up with the hole in the Cylinder Support Pylon. When the engine is assembled, a piece of 10-32 threaded rod screws into the Cylinder Block, and extends down through holes in the Cylinder Support Pylon, the Mounting Plate, the Platform, and the Base. There is a counterbore in the bottom of the base to accommodate a nut and a washer that then clamps the whole assembly together.

A second, similar (but shorter) piece of threaded rod attaches the Flywheel Support Pylon to the Mounting Plate, the Platform, and the Base in the same manner.

These threaded rods should be long enough to extend far enough into the counterbores in the Base to fully engage the nuts, but not so long that they protrude beyond the bottom surface of the Base.

The plans don't show these threaded rods anywhere, but the READ_THIS_FIRST.txt file does list them among the purchased parts.

-- Russell Mac
We've had a few problems on the way, but we've finally managed to complete the engine!
I'm really sorry for how terrible I've been at keeping in touch and I don't know if you'll see this, but we couldn't be more thankful of your help.
I really hope you'll take a look at the video that I've attached of the engine working.

We also ran a few tests and it turns out it generates an average of 1.3W and we hope we've done your plans justice!
Attachments
IMG_20220908_100833.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

in many cases, it is not the journey but the end result (as long as you maintain sanity along the way)

very cool.....bet you are the proud parent of a 1.3W Manson

better then being parent of Charles Manson :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Alex.M wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:52 am We've had a few problems on the way, but we've finally managed to complete the engine!
I'm really sorry for how terrible I've been at keeping in touch and I don't know if you'll see this, but we couldn't be more thankful of your help.
I really hope you'll take a look at the video that I've attached of the engine working.
Excellent! It took me three attempts to get a working engine--you guys did it on the first try. Good job!

I'm seeing a picture, but no video. Can you put the video on YouTube and post a link here?

-- Russell Mac
Alex.M

Post by Alex.M »

Alex.M wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:52 am
rmac wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:20 am There is a small tapped hole in the Cylinder Block that lines up with the hole in the Cylinder Support Pylon. When the engine is assembled, a piece of 10-32 threaded rod screws into the Cylinder Block, and extends down through holes in the Cylinder Support Pylon, the Mounting Plate, the Platform, and the Base. There is a counterbore in the bottom of the base to accommodate a nut and a washer that then clamps the whole assembly together.

-- Russell Mac
We've had a few problems on the way, but we've finally managed to complete the engine!

We also ran a few tests and it turns out it generates an average of 1.3W and we hope we've done your plans justice!
I couldn't work out how to post a video on the forum, so here's a link to the video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/JmZdHD0pGcQ?feature=share
Alex.M

Post by Alex.M »

rmac wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:29 am
Alex.M wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:52 am We've had a few problems on the way, but we've finally managed to complete the engine!
Excellent! It took me three attempts to get a working engine--you guys did it on the first try. Good job!

I'm seeing a picture, but no video. Can you put the video on YouTube and post a link here?

-- Russell Mac
Thank you very much!!

I'm sorry about the video. It must've completely slipped my mind.
Here's a link to the video!
https://youtube.com/shorts/JmZdHD0pGcQ?feature=share