Angle Plate - Step Block Maker?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Angle Plate - Step Block Maker?

Post by ctwo »

Hi All,

I was just curious if anyone recognizes who may have made this? And I've always called them a step block.

It says Manufactured By
Something Something Something Inc.

I am somewhat tempted to light sand and apply some BLO.

Image Image
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Re: Angle Plate - Step Block Maker?

Post by GlennW »

I have an old angle plate as well that was given to me by someone that made it many years ago, and was amazed at the wear it exhibited when I started surveying it, and ended up re-grinding it...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Took your picture into a photo editing program and it looks like it says Fisher Machine Corp Inc ?

The label looks like it was hot branded into the wood, defintely has some embossing
artifacts in it. Maybe raking a light across the surface may reveal more.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

That might fit!..

What does "raking a light" mean?
Jon W

Post by Jon W »

“Raking a light”… Think of the moment just before sunset on a very flat plain, when the sun is so low in the sky it’s light is almost parallel to the ground - even small, low rocks on the ground will throw a shadow. A bright light held low next to the top of the box (ideally in a dark room) will accentuate any raised or lowered letters in the surface and hopefully make them a bit easier to read.
Jon W
Somewhere North of Boston
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Creating extended shadows by rolling a flashlight on the floor is also a great way to locate tiny parts that have fallen.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Exactly what Jon W said, I use what mklotz described all the time except rather than
rolling it I sweep the light like radar works about 95% of the time, the 5% that it does'nt work
is because the floor is too dirty. :oops:
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Since my knees and back aches working near the floor is the last option. When a small part fall, I sweep the floor wider that the presumed bounce range. It usually works. I have blocked most of the cabinet's bases to prevent objects intrusion. I hate "swimming" on the floor with a flashlight.
Have a putter with a magnet for no-bending pick up.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Magnetic pickups are fine for ferrous items but otherwise useless. My back won't allow me to reach the floor but, if my arms were orangutan-like I could bend enough to pick things off the floor. To extend my reach, my solution was to buy several 12" hemostats, e.g....

https://www.amazon.com/SZCO-Supplies-St ... 143&sr=8-2

and distribute around the shop, office and kitchen. They are more precise and have a stronger grip than the typical 3 ft plastic pickups and are a lot more compact to store when not in use. If one glues a button neodymium magnet to the jaw he can have the simplicity of a magnetic pickup as well. Of course, if one does that it will pick up whatever ferrous swarf is lying about.

A trick I employ with magnetic pickups is to wrap the magnet in aluminum foil (discarded candy wrappers work well). Then, when the tool grows an unwanted swarf beard, simply unwrap it and discard the wrapper and swarf. Have a piece of candy to congratulate yourself on your cleverness, rewrap the magnet and putter on.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Don't know who made it, but have you tried looking at it using Polarized lenses in sunlight ?
Rich
morsetaper2

Post by morsetaper2 »

I have a set of 1-2-3 blocks in a similar box (smaller 4.5 x 4 x 1.5 in) w/ similar image of the product that was inside. The mfg is Finn.

https://www.finntool.com/

Their products page does not show your step block however.

EDIT: I see someone above called out Fisher Machine. I believe that is correct. Looking on ebay I see machine setup tooling that comes in a similar styled wood box.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

We have a winner! Fisher Machine Shop Inc. Thank you all.
Attachments
fisher-machine-shop.jpg