Differences in Quick Change Tool Posts

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

David2011

Differences in Quick Change Tool Posts

Post by David2011 »

Apologies if this has been hashed and rehashed. I did do a search.

Are there any substantial differences from one import wedge QCTP to the next? The photos all look very much alike including the shape of the knob. I’m leaning toward the Precision Matthews based on their reputation as I know it and they have other items that I want to order. The lathe is a new-to-me Grizzly G9972Z so I’m looking for an AXA sized toolpost. I suffered through the 4 way toolpost on my last lathe for years so I’m looking to upgrade.
Bill Shields

Re: Differences in Quick Change Tool Posts

Post by Bill Shields »

I prefer the wedge type vs piston.

I have a couple of Shars, and a Phase III, 2 Aloris and a DTM and a CDCO.

Aloris is the best, DTM tight there. Nothing wrong with the Shars and Phase III except that the tool holder set screws are crap.

I get most of the tool holders from CDCO as they are the least $ and regularly have sales where you can get holders for around $20 each or less.

You can be er have enough holders. I have maybe 25.

Divvied up between left, right, face, threading, boring and grooving you can fill em up real quick.

I avoid putting a tool out the back of a holder as much as possible -> they tend to be knuckle snaggers.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Don't even think about Piston models, they are crap compared to Wedge units.
I think Bill put the question in perspective nicely .
I have Aloris units and maybe 30 + holders to handle an assortment of tooling.
Most of mine are home made holders.( 2/3 rds)
American made set screws must meet 1960 American standards which means only using 175 K tensile steel
Foreign made Setscrews can be made of 60 K steel, so replace the screws with good set screws
Rich
David2011

Post by David2011 »

Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately they don't really apply to the question. I was asking specifically about the differences among imported AXA wedge QCTPs. I've used Aloris and I know they're good. I'm not in business and not going not going to spend Aloris money, especially for the Grizzly G9972Z.

Bill, I know you're right. Never too many clamps, never too many tool holders. I fought the 4 way on my Jet lathe every time I changed a tool. That was a big reason I sold it when I moved. It would have required machining of the saddle to convert it to anything that used a tee slot. I also sold my perfectly good milling machine because of the cost to move it so I'm limited to commercially produced holders at the moment. That hurt but it wasn't worth $5000 to move the mill and I didn't want to do it myself; 1400 mile round trip plus handling equipment.

(Rambling, now) The Grizzly lathe will do until I get what I want. I'm not looking forward to having to change gears to select thread pitches. My old Jet 10x24 had a gearbox like big lathes. No gear changes through the entire Imperial thread range.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

As I said, I have phase 3, CDCO and others along with the Aloris..

They all work well.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

David2011 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:46 pm Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately they don't really apply to the question. I was asking specifically about the differences among imported AXA wedge QCTPs. I've used Aloris and I know they're good. I'm not in business and not going not going to spend Aloris money, especially for the Grizzly G9972Z.
It's a tough question to answer and it's crap shoot with imported wedge style QCTP's, Shar's stuff seems nice in the quality control dept
I had a Shars QCTP I sold it un used since my lathe came with a Tripan QCTP which I fell in love with immediately.

Maybe you could be more specific about what the differences are that you're looking for ?
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I've used a Phase 2 for more than 20 years and holders from CDCO, no problems except setscrews. Would buy again.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

Maybe you could be more specific about what the differences are that you're looking for ?
There seems to be a good number of identical looking QCTPs down to the markings and oddly shaped knob on the release handle. The prices range in 2022 from about $125 for a toolpost and a few holders to over $220 for an identical appearing set. Are they all made in the same factory in China and marketed under different names or are they made by different companies. The former owner had a Bostar on it but kept it for his new lathe. I’ve seen very positive comments about the Precision Matthews tool holders, having more precise adjustments akin to Aloris. Some say that the PM screws are not soft like some. CDCO seems to have a good following but poor marks for communicating and customer service.

I just want to spend as much as is necessary but not overpay.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I have a CXA piston type QCTP and have absolutely no problems with it, locks well and maintains centre height on my tool holders.
A lot better than my old turret tool post and no more shims.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I bought an Aloris BXA for my lathe and am very happy with it. It’s as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar and operates very smoothly. My opinion is pinching pennies with a QCTP is akin to pinchings pennies with a parachute.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

With my new-to-me V-10-P lathe in 1991, I built my own QCTP plus about 32 tool holders, because I could not justify the expenditure for same at that time. Of course I used the socket head cap screws for tool clamping, and I got to dislike these screws in that application immensely.

At a flea market I found a tin can full of 1/4-20UNC square head set screws and, using a 1/4" drive extension rod modified as a screw driver, installed these screws in all my tool holders. BTW, on a screw for screw basis, these flea market screws were also much cheaper than the socket head screws. ISTR that the socket screws cost $0.35 CDN each at that time in the local hardware store.

These square headed screws were all case hardened and very, very, hard; in fact they would mark the high speed steel tool bits! Consequently I ground off the cup end of these screws to provide a flat ring to press on the tool bit.

Apart from the blackening wearing off, these un-hardened tool holders and tool post are as good as the day I made them. My son and I got into the habit of giving each holder and tool post a quick brush-off with a clean paint brush prior to placing the tool holder.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

I’m not buying an Aloris or other expensive QCTP. I’m not buying a piston style toolpost.
I am going to buy an inexpensive import AXA wedge type QCTP.

I would like to know if all of the import AXA WEDGE QCTPs are about the same or are there some that are better than the others.