Differences in Quick Change Tool Posts

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Rich_Carlstedt

Re: Differences in Quick Change Tool Posts

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:01 pm As I said, I have phase 3, CDCO and others along with the Aloris..They all work well.
I believe Bill answered your question already
No one sees a difference
Rich
RSG

Post by RSG »

David2011 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:41 pm I would like to know if all of the import AXA WEDGE QCTPs are about the same or are there some that are better than the others.
I can't tell you if this one is the same as the others but I do know that Accusize Industrial Tools is an upstanding company and everything I've ever bought from them is been good quality. So this tool post might be worth looking at.

https://accusizetools.com/collections/l ... 5946405018
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

David2011 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:41 pm I would like to know if all of the import AXA WEDGE QCTPs are about the same or are there some that are better than the others.
GIGGLE....if you want to know if ALL are the same, then you need to be prepared to purchase one of each company making the offering and size test each.

in reality, the ALORIS size ranges of AXA / BXA / CXA / etc -> pretty much became the industry standard some 50+ years ago -> and anyone advertising such is basically saying 'my AXA holders' will fit AXA tool posts (assuming everyone copying ALORIS samples) works to the same tolerances.

In reality, I doubt that Mr. Sirola handed out copies of his manufacturing specifications to copy cats....so it is a moot point
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:03 am I bought an Aloris BXA for my lathe and am very happy with it. It’s as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar and operates very smoothly. My opinion is pinching pennies with a QCTP is akin to pinchings pennies with a parachute.
I’ve had to wear a parachute. Not a valid comparison. I’ll happily use a 1940s South Bend lathe. Not so much a WWII surplus ‘chute. Also, not pinching pennies. The price difference between Chinese and Aloris is $800 or more; $150 vs $950 in round numbers. I taught gunsmithing at a community college. We had lantern toolposts and Aloris toolposts. I’ve owned two lathes with 4 ways. I like the lantern better than a 4 way. If I was manufacturing a product commercially a good lathe and high end toolpost would make sense. On a cheap lathe making bushings, adapters and the like for myself it doesn’t make economical sense.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

RSG wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:22 am
I can't tell you if this one is the same as the others but I do know that Accusize Industrial Tools is an upstanding company and everything I've ever bought from them is been good quality. So this tool post might be worth looking at.

https://accusizetools.com/collections/l ... 5946405018
Exactly my point. At $286 looks exactly like the $150 item down to the oddly shaped knob.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

all probably come from the same shop in China....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

You could also look at a Multifix toolholder but if you want a good one they are big $$$.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

I could look at a Multifix. Why put lipstick on a pig, though? It was a foregone decision to buy an import AXA wedge QTCTP.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

Update: I got a Bostar from CDCO. The fit and finish was completely acceptable except for one adjuster thumbwheel. The threaded hole through it was horribly far from perpendicular. A generous gentleman, a friend of a friend, let me machine the tee nut on his very nice Bridgeport mill.

The rigidity of the toolpost seems very adequate. I made some more adjustment thumbwheels from 12L14 for the tool holders with a mix of HSS and carbide tools; one to replace the bad one and a couple more just because. The parted surfaces were smooth as glass using a HSS parting tool. Facing with a carbide tool was smooth. I didn’t care for the knurling tool compared to my old pivoting head one but it might work better as I get more familiar with it. The tool holders return to the same height reliably based on facing cuts. The adjustment is adequately easy. Initial impressions are that the toolpost is more rigid than the lathe on which it’s mounted. The lathe and not the QCTP is the limiting factor so far.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Nice! Glad it's acceptable! Ya those knurling tools are junk!

I Actually went and bought one too. Took half the day resetting my tool posts, They were so close too... :roll: but they all had to move down about .015"

Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Well the aloris and Dorian... Just kidding. I can't say for sure how much different the various brands are. Likely they are all very similar with "better" brands maybe having better quality control. I would say, buy from a place that has good customer service so that is what you end up with is truly junk, you have some options for remedy.

I do buy import tool holders, most often from cdco. The issue I have with them is that the dovetail sockets are not always the same dimensions. So the handle is sometimes in an odd place.

I would also say that you should probably take apart any import tool with moving parts and clean and deburr it. I have found that they usually work a lot more nicely afterward.
FrayJo

Post by FrayJo »

I purchased an Aloris BXA for my lathe and am extremely pleased with it. It's as sturdy as the Rock of Gibraltar and runs like a dream. Pinching pennies with a QCTP, in my opinion, is equivalent to pinching coins with a parachute.