Get Material Flat in Vise

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcman56

Get Material Flat in Vise

Post by mcman56 »

I have an old mill vise and frequently struggle to get material to sit flat. I use parallels, tighten and then tap on material so that parallels will not slide. Sometimes or frequently, I can not get this to work and the parallel on the movable side of the vise continues to slide. The attached picture shows the result when I rotated material 5 degrees in the vice and took a cut. You can see the material is higher on the movable side of the vise. (It was originally cut holding the long sides but I needed to switch to holding the short sides for this 5 degree operation..)

I don't know the brand of the vise but it does not have a dovetail. It just has flat plates that bolt on the bottom to hold the movable side down. I have tried tightening these until there is a lot of drag but still have the problem. Is there anyway to improve this situation. My next project will require things to be quite flat.
vise_issue_rotated.jpg
Vise 1.JPG
Vise 2.JPG
Last edited by rmac on Fri May 13, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
earlgo

Re: Get Material Flat in Vise

Post by earlgo »

Hah. I had one of those vises that did the same thing, but not the same brand. It just did the same thing.
You could insert a section of round rod horizontally between your part and the moveable jaw to help alleviate the up and down movement. You would still have to tap the top to seat the part on the parallels.
Failing that, check whatever sources you have for a KURT vise. Problem solved, but they are expensive.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

I had a cheap Kurt copy for some years. Worked OK, but still had the same lift problem. Eventually sold it at a flea market for cheap and bought a Kurt. It's hard to appreciate how much difference the vise can make in your work quality. Depending on what you make, one solution might be to buy a grinding vise, clamp the parts, then put the grinding vise in the big vise. If it goes well below the plane of the screw, the jaw isn't likely to lift.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

I was not planning on a new vise. How did machinists deal with this in the "good old" days. Kurt vises look quite pricey. Are there some decent clones?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

mcman56 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:46 pm I was not planning on a new vise.
I strongly suggest you review that decision.
How did machinists deal with this in the "good old" days. Kurt vises look quite pricey.

By using large soft hammers (typically cast of lead). Even then, the problem wasn't solved. They lived with the conditions that could be generated.
Are there some decent clones?
Some are reputed to be as good. I can't say, as I use only Kurt.

Plain and simple. If you hope to do better work and not fight the known fight, get a Kurt. You won't believe the difference it makes.

I do NOT have stock, or any monetary interest in Kurt. I own two of them. I wouldn't have it any other way.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Harold_V wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:10 pm
mcman56 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:46 pm I was not planning on a new vise.
I strongly suggest you review that decision.
How did machinists deal with this in the "good old" days. Kurt vises look quite pricey.

By using large soft hammers (typically cast of lead). Even then, the problem wasn't solved. They lived with the conditions that could be generated.
Are there some decent clones?
Some are reputed to be as good. I can't say, as I use only Kurt.

Plain and simple. If you hope to do better work and not fight the known fight, get a Kurt. You won't believe the difference it makes.

I do NOT have stock, or any monetary interest in Kurt. I own two of them. I wouldn't have it any other way.

H
If I got a used Kurt vise, would it still be as accurate as a new Kurt ?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Even with a Kurt you need to tap the workpiece down against the parallels, but it is minimal.

I use a 10 oz Deadblow plastic hammer and just give it a light tap. Just so the parallels don't move if you touch them with your finger.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Jon W

Post by Jon W »

I’d second the earlier suggestion of introducing a rod on the movable jaw side, but would recommend it be a bit of 12ga or so copper electrical wire. No substitution for a Kurt, but it might help your current vise behave itself a bit better.
Jon W
Somewhere North of Boston
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:20 pm If I got a used Kurt vise, would it still be as accurate as a new Kurt ?
Depends on what it's been through. My first Kurt is more than 50 years old and still does a great job. It has had no maintenance, not even the jaws reground. Second one is about ten years old, but looks the same as the day it was purchased. The paint isn't even scratched. Being used isn't a problem, but being abused certainly can be. From my training days, I can remember vise handles beaten flat by those who didn't have a clue about doing fine work (and used hard hammers instead of soft hammers). A vise like that most likely would be shot, not worthy of being owned. By the way, the vises I speak of were not Kurt---which had yet to be marketed.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

You are looking for a starrett no. 54 hold down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255409157918?h ... Sw0BpiG~Cz

I have both a Starrett and Lufkin. I haven't used them in quite a while since Kurt vises have become common in shops.

Richard W.
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

You are looking for a starrett no. 54 hold down.

Can you explain what these do? They just look like parallels.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

First, are you sure the side against the fixed jaw is true 90 deg to the bottom of the part being held (or for that matter sure the fixed jaw is perpendicular to the base ie. the table). Second, DON"T tighten the movable jaw TIGHT and then try to tap the part down. do it gentle bit by bit so the part can move.
...lew...