Shop ventillation

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Shop ventillation

Post by SteveM »

In my former house, I had metal-framed casement windows and replaced two of the panes with plywood and two fans.

One of the fans was a squirrel cage with a dryer vent hose attached I could aim at the source of fumes to exhaust and the other was round fan about 10" in diameter that could move so much air the basement door would slam shut.

In my new space, I have no windows - the entire room is subterranean.

I'm trying to look at ventilation options.

I could put in a bathroom vent fan and run it out the outside joist with one of those dryer vent outlets.

I'm not sure that a bathroom fan has enough airflow (and bathroom vent fans prices are downright silly). Need something functional and not stylish.

What has anyone else in the same situation done?

Steve
Bill Shields

Re: Shop ventillation

Post by Bill Shields »

Tjerlnund has options

I have one that is a double fan X2R

You can reverse either fan.by just pulling it out and flipping it 180 degrees.

On the outside I separated the streams with 6" pvc pipe so that the exhaust did not recycle the intake.

Entire unit fits between 16" joist spaces.

Or you can use a radon fan.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

You might look at in-line duct fans.

https://www.amazon.com/8-inch-inline-du ... e+duct+fan

I assume you would want to evacuate fumes that are heavier than air so place your ductwork intake maybe 1' off the floor and run up and turn 90 and go outdoors. If you place the fan outdoors you can avoid a lot of noise as well.
It will also remove the coldest air off the floor and maybe help to warm the room in the winter if you need that. Of course this will depend on where your "make up" air source is located. 100CFM pushed outside = 100CFM pulled from outside into the same space.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Most bath fans are around 80 CFM, but Home Depot sells one that is a vertical vent fan with 210 CFM. I put one in a bathroom and when the door is closed, you can really feel the air coming in under the door from across the room.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Broan-NuTon ... /100385905

I put this one in the bathroom because it was the only one I could find that would fit where the old fan was. Anyway no more fogged up mirrors after a shower.

Richard W.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Steve, a few thoughts but first a warning or two
I assume (?) you are in a basement and if so, and you have a gas hot water heater, Make sure you have a source
of fresh air coming in or your exhaust fan will suck air in backwards from the heaters chimney .

I have central vac in my shop ( shop vac outside ) so when I am soldering or heat something. I use the vac as a exhaust fan because it moves lots of air

Just Last week, I noticed my shower exhaust (20 yrs old) was allowing my mirror to fog up , so I checked the outside vent and the screen was plugged up 80 %, so I took the soffit apart to get at the screen and found mold inside the hose , so I cut off the last 3 feet of the hose to soak in Bleach and it cleaned it well . Then i went to Mehnards and bought a 4inch flexible vent hose COUPLING.
Imagine my surprise when I found out my hose was LH, and the coupling was RH.- No Fiteee.... and no hardware store in Green Bay stocks LH couplings. And I can't change the entire hose as it snakes through the attic Grrr.. So I found a 3"PVC round down spout drain coupling ( Not a PVC PIPE coupling ! ) that fits the bore nicely and ( its thin walled too )and with a few 4 inch hose clamps, all worked well.
Moral of the story , Apparently vent Hose makers do not have industry standards, so make sure your fittings work well together before installing

Rich
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:15 am Tjerlnund has options
I have one that is a double fan X2R
That's a pretty neat unit. I like the idea of one-for-one exchange.

I like your idea of separating the intake and exhaust.
Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:02 pm Steve, a few thoughts but first a warning or two
I assume (?) you are in a basement and if so, and you have a gas hot water heater, Make sure you have a source
of fresh air coming in or your exhaust fan will suck air in backwards from the heaters chimney .
Yes, we have a gas hot water heater and a gas furnace. The furnace has its own air intake. It looks like the hot water heater may not, so I emailed the company that installed it to see if it can be retrofitted.

In my old house, we installed a fresh air kit for the oil burner because the building department was going to make me cut a huge hole in a firedoor to let air from the finished basement space to be available for the burner (when the room was built, the remaining unfinished space was deemed to not be enough air space for the burner.
Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:02 pm Apparently vent Hose makers do not have industry standards...
As our own CTWO says "Standards are so important, everyone must have their own".

As it gets cold here in Wisconsin (Rich would know!), maybe the thing to get is one of those air exchangers that uses the heat in the exhaust air to preheat the incoming.

Steve
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

Might be worth a trip to your local “indoor tomato” supply store. In-line fans are quite popular with the indoor grow folks.

I have had a fantech inline dryer booster fan at my home for 12 years and it has worked flawlessly (we do a lot of laundry).

At work one of the guys took the saying below a little too seriously… “Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that’s why I poop on company time”. I got sick of the office smelling like poop so I tore out the sickly bathroom exhaust fan and put in the largest fantech that was made for the preexisting duct. Put it on a motion sensor, problem solved!
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!