Some Machining Required

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Re: Some Machining Required

Post by ctwo »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:16 pm I'm partial to Pfister (formerly Price-Pfister). Our kitchen sink faucet is a Pfister that replaced a 20-year-old Pfister that replaced a five-year-old Moen faucet.
This site says Moen around one decade. Seems like I remember seeing a moen faucet in a house I bought in 1998.

https://www.plumberspot.com/moen-vs-kohler-faucets/
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Bob Vila says Delta faucet is the best.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-kitchen-faucet/

Who's Bob Vila?
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I feel more worldly now, because I have broadened my faucet knowledge. Here, Forbes has the Forious brand up there on top.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/home-imp ... k-faucets/

My bet is they are all single chrome plated pot metal.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I installed my "repaired" faucent handle and it works, but still has a little side-side wobble. They give you a tiny plastic cube to put over the stem to take up some slop. It don't fit. Tempted to put in the new valve, JB weld it on permanent, then when it starts leaking in 4 months like usual, replace the whole thing, including the valves coming out of the wall. I think there will be a copper pipe there to solder onto.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

We have both Moen and Kohler faucets in our kitchen, so far, the Kohler, which does get a bit more use, has been repaired, replaced, and repaired in a time span of 14 years. The Moen has no issues.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:11 pm
Harold_V wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:42 am
ctwo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:03 pm These are Kohler.
??????
Not clear what you are implying. Care to clarify? (What "these" are Kohler?)

H
Hi Harold,

We were talking about plumbing, faucets to be specific. Someone seemed to suggest my faucets were cheap from Home Depot. Further, there seemed to be agreement of this notion.
Thanks for the update. I'd have been just as well served to have simply re-read what had already been posted. I realize, now, that you had not made mention previously of the make of the faucet in question, but others had chimed in with various maker's name to the point where I thought you had made mention.

Heavy, heavy sigh. I'm getting a little goofier with each passing day.

Luck with the faucet. All of my plumbing fixtures, save for an American Standard oval cast iron bathtub, are Kohler. They make a good product, although not without the occasional fault. They're quite proud of their merchandise if price is any indicator.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:14 pm Bob Vila says Delta faucet is the best.
Hmmmm.
Isn't Delta a single handle faucet?

I don't care for them. Call me old fashioned, but I like the old style, with one hot and one cold faucet. Both can terminate in a common spout. I'm ok with that! :lol:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Harold_V wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:26 pmThey're quite proud of their merchandise if price is any indicator.

H
:lol: they all seem to be a little full of themselves.

Stupid me, that MOEN I mentioned in that 1998 home purchase, was a single handle mixer type that mounts to the two pipe nipples sticking out of the wall. There is no counter space behind the sink, so the faucet is mounted on the wall. Short temper one day ruined the faucet, and that's when I discovered it was $375. There are just not many options for this kind of faucet, like that is the only one I found. The replacement had separate hot and cold knobs. It wasn't as easy to do the dishes requiring two hands to adjust the H/C mix.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

So in the middle of this...one of my house guests broke my Moen 30 year old kitchen faucet.

A phone call and $16 later, Moen is replacing the broken plastic part and one other gasket under warranty.

I clearly explained to the lady that the faucet was probably older than she and was not expecting warranty...but what the heck...no complaints.

Ha!
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

FYI - The products you buy at Home Depot and Lowe's are not the same as those sold at your local hardware store, plumbing supply, tool store, etc. When Home Depot decides they want to carry a new product, they approach the manufacturer , offer the manufacturer a very lucrative contract/purchase but the requirement is that the manufacturer has to reduce the cost of the said product....this means cutting corners or in other words cheapening up the product. Ever tried to buy parts for a tool you bought at Home Depot only to be told " sorry that tool was only offered at Home Depot and we don't carry spare parts for those"? Snapper lawn mower company was approached by Home depot, they refused to sell their mowers through Home Depot as they were not willing to cheapen their product and jeopardize the companies name.
I have to say, I will never buy another faucet, or shower control from HomeDepot again.....I have purchased Moen, Kohler, and Standard from them and have had to replace all of them because of substandard quality issues.

Nyle
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

LIALLEGHENY wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:32 am FYI - The products you buy at Home Depot and Lowe's are not the same as those sold at your local hardware store, plumbing supply, tool store, etc. When Home Depot decides they want to carry a new product, they approach the manufacturer , offer the manufacturer a very lucrative contract/purchase but the requirement is that the manufacturer has to reduce the cost of the said product....this means cutting corners or in other words cheapening up the product. Ever tried to buy parts for a tool you bought at Home Depot only to be told " sorry that tool was only offered at Home Depot and we don't carry spare parts for those"? Snapper lawn mower company was approached by Home depot, they refused to sell their mowers through Home Depot as they were not willing to cheapen their product and jeopardize the companies name.
I have to say, I will never buy another faucet, or shower control from HomeDepot again.....I have purchased Moen, Kohler, and Standard from them and have had to replace all of them because of substandard quality issues.

Nyle
I wasn't aware that HD and Lowes faucets were different from the ones from plumbing supply stores. I wonder if power tools are made specially for HD/Lowes and are different from those sold in hardware and builder supply stores.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

You would have to compare model numbers.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!