Some Machining Required

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Some Machining Required

Post by Harold_V »

What Glenn said. My limited experience indicates that HD products are unique to HD, as they don't share common identity. Does anyone have evidence to the contrary?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

FWIW:

I have several DeWalt tools that came from HD that are identical by model number and spare parts to others that I purchased elsewhere.

Living in a log house I go through a lot of vibrating sanders.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

LIALLEGHENY wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:32 am FYI - The products you buy at Home Depot and Lowe's are not the same as those sold at your local hardware store, plumbing supply, tool store, etc. When Home Depot decides they want to carry a new product, they approach the manufacturer , offer the manufacturer a very lucrative contract/purchase but the requirement is that the manufacturer has to reduce the cost of the said product...
This is not strictly true by any means. HD/Lowes have house brands made to their price point or specification, manufacturer brands with custom model numbers to certain retailers, and manufacturer brands common across all retailers.

For things like power tools, a lot of it is not even owned by HD/Lowes (never purchased wholesale), it is sold on consignment by the manufacturer and stocked by their rep. Ryobi, Rigid, and Milwaukee are all made by the same company - TTI. That is why you will see a Milwaukee branded pickup in the HD parking lot several times a week - the rep is restocking/fronting product (delivered separately). Likewise, Dewalt, Stanley, Bostitch, Porter Cable, etc. are all made by the same manufacturer. There are very few actual manufacturers these days, just brand names targeted at specific market segments. A number of other products are also ordered/stocked by reps... people often stop to ask them questions/confuse them for store employees, because they are stocking the shelves.

Both the manufacturer and the retailer (HD/Lowes/Sears/etc.) also put different model numbers on the same washer/refrigerator/etc., with a trivial change, so you can't price shop and compare between retailers. A sale at one is virtually never the exact same model number as another retailer and therefore not a price match (though you can generally fight a bit more on this).
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I can speak from experience when it comes to power tools that the HD products are not the same as sold in your local hardware store( It is possible that this has changed more recently) I have a Dewalt 18v cordless drill that the forward/reverse/trigger switch went bad....I bought a new one online through a Dewalt authorized parts center, the new switch was noticeably different and an obvious better constructed switch than the old, identical part# as well, so it wasn't a superseded part. Also have (2) porter cable belt sanders with variable speed trigger control, why 2? I used the first one for several days and burned out the switch and couldn't wait to order a new switch, so I had to buy a second sander to get my work done. ( Burned that one out as well after a week). When I ordered and received the new switches they again were different than the old ones. I inquired if there had been an upgrade and was informed that they were original equipment. The service rep asked where I purchased the sanders, when I said HD, I was told that they more than likely were different, one being of a lesser quality . What HD is doing now I don't know as I try not to shop there if at all possible.

Nyle
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Here is a link to the owners of major tool brands and what is in each of their stables.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/power-to ... owns-them/
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I have Kohler and have received three replacement heads and one complete faucet under their lifetime warranty. I also accidentally cut one of the hoses and they replaced it free even though I said it was my own stupidity. (Perhaps they felt sorry for me.) I found them exceptionally good to deal with.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.