Some Machining Required

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Some Machining Required

Post by ctwo »

I guess it qualifies as machining since I had to use an end mill to get through a step.

My kitchen faucet handle started coming loose and would no longer tighten. It seems to have lost some metal.

To fix, I install one hole, with threads. Any guess how I held onto that oddly shaped, ergonomic handle? I tried all the fancy ways, 3- & 4-jaw chucks, dividing head, nothing would hand onto that slippery chrome. Except a piece of PVC forced over the handle and gripped strong in regular old milling vise.

And then I mix JB weld, install a shouldered hex socket screw, and mill one side flat.

That was plan B. Plan A would never have worked. Should this fail, I will implement plan C. And there is even plan D.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
curtis cutter

Re: Some Machining Required

Post by curtis cutter »

Eventually you will likely get to plan "T", where you Throw it away and get a new one. :)
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The way things are made nowadays, I aught to see if the Alhambra man delivers faucets with the water.

This is a 10 year old faucet that has been through several repairs already. I only go through this effort because I bought an extra valve to address its apparent 24 month lifespan. The plumbing in this house worked great for over 40 years. The owner remodeled and replaced everything. Now, all those new fixtures are flaking, blistering, and melting away. Everything is now made of pot metal with a thin veil of polish.

The JB weld was actually the generic stuff from HFT. Everything online says that stuff cures in 5 mins. I was still slopping it around in there an hour later. Found out it needs 2hr set time for what I had.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Buy your next faucet from Moen instead of Home Depot. Moen's stuff generally lasts forever and if you ever have any problems they will send you replacement parts for free.

-- Russell Mac
NP317

Post by NP317 »

rmac wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:36 am Buy your next faucet from Moen instead of Home Depot. Moen's stuff generally lasts forever and if you ever have any problems they will send you replacement parts for free.

-- Russell Mac
Agreed!
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

curtis cutter wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:00 am Eventually you will likely get to plan "T", where you Throw it away and get a new one. :)

Before plan-T, there’s plan-S, which is where you scrap it.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You can get Moen from home Depot..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

These are Kohler.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I'm partial to Pfister (formerly Price-Pfister). Our kitchen sink faucet is a Pfister that replaced a 20-year-old Pfister that replaced a five-year-old Moen faucet.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:03 pm These are Kohler.
??????
Not clear what you are implying. Care to clarify? (What "these" are Kohler?)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I've never heard of any of those brands; somehow I thought the Atlantic was smaller than that.

Often the same material is sold with different names.
And threads (on the clamp screw)
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Harold_V wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:42 am
??????
Not clear what you are implying. Care to clarify? (What "these" are Kohler?)

H
Hi Harold,

We were talking about plumbing, faucets to be specific. Someone seemed to suggest my faucets were cheap from Home Depot. Further, there seemed to be agreement of this notion.
NP317 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:58 am
rmac wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:36 am Buy your next faucet from Moen instead of Home Depot. Moen's stuff generally lasts forever and if you ever have any problems they will send you replacement parts for free.

-- Russell Mac
Agreed!
RussN

Someone then came to the defense of Home Depot.
Bill Shields wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:24 pm You can get Moen from home Depot..
But this discussion over means or place of acquisition is irrelevant to the notion that Moen is superior to whatever I actually have, of which I attempted to clarify.
These what? These faucets, of course.

Assuming history means anything. Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, is an American manufacturing company based in Kohler, Wisconsin. Kohler is best known for its plumbing products, but the company also manufactures furniture, cabinetry, tile, engines, and generators.

If you search the internet for the best home faucets, you will find articles comparing Kohler vs. Moen, and it's much like the Chevy vs. Ford argument, except perhaps there are some differences. To me it's like trying to figure out which one smells better, they both stink, and these are the creame of the crop...