Followup question for digital caliper

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

David2011

Re: Followup question for digital caliper

Post by David2011 »

My measuring tools include two digital calipers, two moderately priced dial calipers, vernier calipers and several quality micrometers. The dial calipers consistently give the same dimensions as the Starrett micrometers. The digital calipers are typically within a thousandth of the other devices so for my money they’re still pretty darned close; closer than is often required. I still don’t use them for measuring anything precise. They’re handy for building R/C airplanes, measuring rifle cartridges before reloading, woodworking and similar uses of less demanding precision as long as the battery is still working.

In my 30+ years of using dial calipers and micrometers, the difference between good calipers and micrometers is only significant when precision better than 0.001” is required. Some finesse is required for good measurements with either.