Method to Press Gear off splined Shaft

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcman56

Method to Press Gear off splined Shaft

Post by mcman56 »

Is there a good way or maybe a tool for pressing things off of a splined shaft. The entire "push" surface is within the OD of the spline. The spline stops and there is a free spinning gear followed by a bearing and pressed on collar. It was not intended to be disassembled and is unobtanium.
spline.JPG
spline2.JPG
choprboy

Re: Method to Press Gear off splined Shaft

Post by choprboy »

It looks like you can press off the bearing using studs on a plate thru the windows in the spur gear. The use a gear puller, legs thru the spur gear windows again to pull off the gear by the inner diameter.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Stop and think about how it as assembled in the first place...stuff had to be pushed on from the small end...so perchance it can be pressed or pulled off in reverse order.

If you need to grip the large bearing on the OD then there are tools for that which can grab in the groove and allow you to pull the bearing off the small end.

Do you have an assembly drawing of the unit?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

What are you trying to do,replace the bearing ? I would get a piece of tubing/pipe that will just clear the splines so you can press near the center of the gear. Put in press and aply some pressure ,then heat collar with a oxy/set torch. Things should then move. If the bearing is to be replaced cut it off with cutting torch if you have to . collar could be made new if needed,nothing realy special there that I can see, looks more like a spacer .
www.chaski.com
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

The spacer runs the oil seal and the outer spline holds the countershaft sprocket for the drive chain, the ones I have worked on press off in one assembly.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I like John Evans idea of a tube. Probably not enough room to get studs through the holes in the gear and pressing on the rim of the gear is not a good idea. Save heat as a very last resort.
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

I'm trying to replace the collar on the end. A triple lipped seal runs on its OD but it is pitted from rust so leaks pretty bad. I happened to have an ATC200 transmission with a similar collar design and was able to press it off easily but it had a big push area. I'll try the tube method.

To remake the collar, the question is what to make it from. It seems like it should be hardened due to the seal running on it. However, what hardness is really required ? There is a hole for oil supply. A file cuts into the original a bit so it is not that hard. It is also 45 years old and I don't need it to last that long. It will not see heavy duty service. I looked it up and the original SKF Speedi Sleeve repair kits were just 304 ss. A friend who used them quite a bit on farm equipment said the never had to replace one.

I tried pushing with an aluminium tube and it took enough force to compress the 6061 aluminium 0.037" without budging. Tube wall is only about 1/8" at most I have a cheap 30 ton press and did not go to maximum for fear of breaking something.
push tube.JPG
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the material of construction is not as important as the surface finish.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

well if a Speedi Sleeve is available in the correct size that is the fix !!!!
www.chaski.com
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

there may be a clip ring down there between the gear and the bearing.....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It's not clear to me if you could simply machine off the unwanted piece. If you can, that would certainly be a solution.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.