5C spin index wit tailstock?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Richard_W

5C spin index wit tailstock?

Post by Richard_W »

I was looking for something inexpensive that is light to lift. What do owners of this think of it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313520981321?e ... SwMmBV4cwe

I am trying to avoid a setup using an index head and tailstock for small quick parts.

Richard W.
Russ Hanscom

Re: 5C spin index wit tailstock?

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I use a similar rig when I need to put a hex or square on round stock, or trying to drill cross holes in a fixed orientation. Works fine as long as you have the right collet sizes.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Don't know how I would survive without one...but never had a tailstock since I keep my parts very short.

I even have a cheapie 3 jaw chuck that mounts in the spindex R5 for odd sizes.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
chief

Post by chief »

+1 on this being a useful tool, but just be aware, like a lot of inexpensive imports, they usually need a little TLC.

The base is usually not square to the spindle bore and rarely flat. On some the spindle could show some slop back and forth.

I have two of them, but not one with a tail stock included, so I don't know if that relationship needs work or not.

All these things are pretty easily handled, and there are a number of YouTube videos on how to improve them.

Terry
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I use one too, but without a tailstock for the previously mentioned reasons. However, since I use it on the grinder, too, I reversed it so that the index collar is on the other end away from the tooling.
reverse spindexer small.JPG
And yes, the bottom has been flattened and is parallel with the spindle and has keyways cut in it.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

chief wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:36 am +1 on this being a useful tool, but just be aware, like a lot of inexpensive imports, they usually need a little TLC.
To say the least. I have one that was used to create a cog wheel for converting a manual fuel pump to a motorized fuel pump. The individual holes that permit 1° spacing are not uniformly spaced, so the resulting wheel, which is about 6" in diameter had to have the teeth of the cog wheel cut undersized (in width) so the belt would engage correctly. To rectify that problem, I'd have to bore all of the holes on proper location, then make an oversized locating pin. Maybe some day when I have nothing to do.

The real advantage of these spin indexers, assuming one has one that indexes correctly (unlike mine) is that they offer the ability of 1° intervals. My Hardinge indexing head is limited to 15°, although there's an optional 12° head available.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.