SS Rod

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Geochurchi

SS Rod

Post by Geochurchi »

Hi, I need to cut a couple of 5/16” SS threaded rods , can I use a hack saw? or is there a better solution?
If it ain’t broken keep working on it until it is .
Geo 🇺🇸
Bill Shields

Re: SS Rod

Post by Bill Shields »

Use what you got...

A band saw or lathe will work . As will an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

OK, Just found a Diablo blade that will do the job.
If it ain’t broken keep working on it until it is .
Geo 🇺🇸
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Go slow
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Going slow is the answer to preserve the blade of the hacksaw.
My workmate demonstrated cutting an Allen key with a hacksaw, slow strokes and cut it with ease.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

armscor 1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:08 pm Going slow is the answer to preserve the blade of the hacksaw.
My workmate demonstrated cutting an Allen key with a hacksaw, slow strokes and cut it with ease.
Yes, slow strokes, but what is very important is that you LIFT the blade from the cut on the return stroke. Dragging the blade will result in instant dulling that will stop the cut. That's true of sawing any material, even aluminum, although it is more forgiving.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:07 pm
armscor 1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:08 pm Going slow is the answer to preserve the blade of the hacksaw.
Yes, slow strokes, but what is very important is that you LIFT the blade from the cut on the return stroke. Dragging the blade will result in instant dulling that will stop the cut. That's true of sawing any material, even aluminum, although it is more forgiving.

H
Great information Harold. I did not know.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:03 pm
Harold_V wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:07 pm

H
Great information Harold. I did not know.
Pretty much standard fare. Dragging ANY cutting edge in the wrong direction offers a perfect opportunity to either chip the edge, or dull it badly, often beyond being useful.

The one exception I can think of is if you're friction sawing, where the back of the blade will perform perfectly well, driven in either direction.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.