Help identifying and duplicating this thread.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcostello

Re: Help identifying and duplicating this thread.

Post by mcostello »

Now I understand more about Far Eastern machining, We use the Western World Machinist Hand book, They use the Eastern version.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Yeah, the carriage lead screw/half nut is another metric/inch hybrid, but larger diameter. That was available from the factory in either 6tpi (inch machine) or 4mm (metric machine). I haven't looked at the thread profile under magnification (it's encased in protective spiral steel sleeves to keep the chips away -- one of the options I was able to order).

As for the scotch, I don't drink, but I take your meaning. In fact, it's kind of the whole point of this exercise.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:27 pm The pitch is based on your Cross-Slide Hand-wheel Dial Range , forget the Comparitor readings
"If" your dial reads .125 for a 360 revolution, then the pitch is indeed .125 (8 Pitch) and LH
Yes in this case, but be careful. There are said to be Chinese-made lathes out there that were made "Imperial" by installing inch dials on machines with 2.5mm pitch leadscrews.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Lead screws are not so expensive; consider replacing yours with a standard acme lead screw and nut.

Of course, I don't know how much work it would be to get the old one out + new one in. But unless it's splined for the drive, fitting should not be difficult.

I'm considering changing mine due to it's wear and imperial pitch.
Torch

Post by Torch »

NP317 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:40 am As for Grizzly, give them a phone call for help answering your parts questions.
They are historically very responsive to customers asking for tech help.
Not so responsive to e-mail. 2 days later and not even an acknowledgment that they received it.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

My G4000 9x20 had a 50 division dial intended to be 0.1" but the leadscrew was 1.25 mm pitch. I finally got fed up to come up short on the precision cuts and made a new screw/nut and increased the diameter
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Torch wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:57 am
NP317 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:40 am As for Grizzly, give them a phone call for help answering your parts questions.
They are historically very responsive to customers asking for tech help.
Not so responsive to e-mail. 2 days later and not even an acknowledgment that they received it.
Starting super bowl celebration early. Since they are short of people...they have to start early to make up for total party man hours
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Covid-19 virus delays are still rampant now.
My new Texas-built tractor could take 3 months to receive. I hope...
Normally in stock at the dealers.
Patience, all.
RussN
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

NP317 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:43 am Covid-19 virus delays are still rampant now.

Patience, all.
Yes.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Torch

Post by Torch »

Never heard back from Grizzly, so I tried again. This time they replied in a day:
We appreciate your continued patronage with Grizzly Industrial and are glad that you have turned to us for your part needs. The factory can only produce them as an assembly. The nut may or may not fit your current cross-feed screw. We do not have any of the P9729725 Crossfeed Nut M15 available for purchase. You would need to order the P9729724A Crossfeed Screw W/Nut Assembly. We have provided a link to view/purchase the item.
I ordered one + a spare. Quite a battle to get their website to take the order, it kept claiming my address was invalid. I selected 2 day air for shipping, but the final receipt indicates standard ground (at the 2 day air price, mind). So we'll see what I get and when I get it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

'Hope this solution works.
They provided a thoughtful response.
RussN
Torch

Post by Torch »

Yes, it's thoughtful. I just have reservations about accuracy. I think it odd that
1. The original nut (only) was listed with the identical description of "CROSSFEED SCREW W/NUT ASSEMBLY" as the replacement.
2. The screw itself is still listed separately as a stand-alone replacement, and
3. The replacement screw + nut assembly) costs less than the screw alone.

On the flip side, it is also odd that the new part number (P9729724A) suggests the update is related to the screw itself (P9729724) rather than the nut (P9729725)

In the event that the response is accurate, I should then have a spare screw shaft that I could potentially turn into a tap of some sort or at least use as a template for future nuts. In the event that the listing is in error, and it's really just a nut not an assembly, I will have a spare that I could potentially take a casting of to figure out how to make a tap. Either way, I should have a good nut for now that I can install before the existing one is completely worn out!