Accord GES Metal Shear

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

H&NERY

Accord GES Metal Shear

Post by H&NERY »

I recently purchased an Accord GES 6010 metal shear, it was working when I purchased it. Now after I wired it back up I seem to be having trouble with the safety circuit not letting the machine run its cycle. I cannot find any information on this machine or company. Does anyone here in the group have one of these? Its a 3 phase machine and I am running it off of my 3 PHASE generator. The wiring diagram that came with the machine is horrible. Any help would be appreciated otherwise the next step is to call in an electrician. Normally I can figure this stuff out. Thanks!
Attachments
20220206_185715_resized.jpg
20220206_185847_resized.jpg
Bob D.

Re: Accord GES Metal Shear

Post by Bob D. »

Post a good pic of what you have for electrical drawings.
What do you consider the safety circuit? Does the main motor start? Is it turning the correct direction?
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

One thing to consider. The generated leg of a phase converter isn't recommended for controls due to often wild voltage. Make certain that you aren't using that leg for the controls of the machine. May not be the problem, but it can't hurt to check.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

I will try and get a good picture of the electrical drawings after work today. This thing has 2 sensor eyes that reflect off of reflectors, I suspect that these could be the problem since I had to relocate them due to where I put the machine in the shop. The person I bought it from was running it off of a rotary phase converter. I am running it on, or at least plan on running it on, my 3 phase diesel generator, mine is a 3 phase delta with a wild leg but I do have the wild leg identified and not hooked to the control transformer. It seems like I am getting the proper control voltages from the transformer.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Any of the light curtain type safety interlocks require fairly good alignments. If you messed with the retro reflectors that may well be the problem. Should be easy enough to bypass for troubleshooting. Post pics and we'll see if we can get you running.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0

H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

Here is the wiring diagram, or what's left of it.
Attachments
20220207_205232_resized.jpg
20220207_205245_resized.jpg
20220207_205332_resized.jpg
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

So, is your line voltage 220 or 440? Same voltage as the previous owner was using? Are you measuring 24v AC at the control
Transformer? I see the two photo eyes on the print. You said you relocated the reflectors? Maybe some explanation and pics of that. Are these eyes to make sure your hands are out of the way?
Does the main motor switch on?
Are the relays labeled in the panel? KA3 should be pulled in if the eyes are happy. A jumper between wires 9 and 11 bypasses the photo eyes.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0

choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Do you have the component key to go with thew wiring diagram? I can read it but kind of guessing at component designations. Debugging wise, I would start with the following:
1) Does the control circuit have power? The diagram has a light between the transformer terminal 0 and the fuse FU2 terminal 5, is it lit?
2) Are you sure that you got the phase rotation correct? If the motor is turning backwards then the shear sequence ladder tree logic may not be in order.

As Bob D.mentioned, looking at the photoelectric switches and relay KA3 would be the first step. I can't quite tell if the "SBx" switches are "safety button", aka emergency stop, or sequence switches, or the foot switch. If SB2 is closed and the two photoelectric sensors are clear, then it energizes relay KA3. That then triggers as latched on circuit via one of the KA3 switches to keep relay KA3 powered until the photoelectric is broken.

If KA3 is energized (let's call this the safety circuit) it also closes the second KA3 switch connected to relays KT and KA1, this appears to be the safety stop. Then SB4 appears to be the manual cycle start, when closed it would energize the KT and KA1 relays, which would apply power to the KM relay to turn on the motor and apply power to the motor brake release circuit respectively. Once the motor is turning and SB is released, the KA1, KA2, and SQ switches and motor cam would sequence the shear thru a cycle and stop.

I also see what looks like an interval timer in the control box, but I don't see that in the diagram. (This might be KT, a delay timer before engaging the motor relay? Not sure.)
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

Here is the component Key, I haven't had much time this week to dive into it.
Attachments
20220209_070729_resized.jpg
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

So the key says SB3 is the foot switch, SQ is the stoke switch, and SB2 and SB4 are just "button". So after you have power on the control side, SB2 needs to be pushed (this is a "start" switch? or maybe a closure switch on the safety guard?) to activate the safety circuit. Then SB4 appears to be a manual cycle switch, or you press the foot switch for an automatic cycle.

Somewhat worryingly... The component key shows the motor and transformer as being 380V 50Hz... has it been converted to 240V previously?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

This is where you check output voltage on transformer.

If you cannot find 24 volts AC at the transformer then your relays are not going to pull in..

Good place to look is the rectifier..it's input should be 24 VAC and 24 VDC out

The primary motor runs? Is it marked for the voltage from which you are attempting to operate?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

The control circuit is 24vac not 24vdc. The dc rectifier you see is only for the brake on the motor. Rectifier is fed 220vac with 110vdc output.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0