Friction thread

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Friction thread

Post by Mr Ron »

I want a tapped hole to have a friction fit with a screw or set screw. For example, if I want an 8-32 set screw to be a friction fit, I use a #30 tap drill in place of the recommended #29. I haven't done this in metal, but just in wood for a saw plate insert in a table saw. I used set screws to level the insert in the saw and didn't want the screws vibrating loose. Is this a legitimate process for metal? a set screw for a motor pulley for example.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
ChipMaker4130

Re: Friction thread

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

Not at all reliable, one size out of twenty might give you the result you want and you have a much better chance of breaking a tap. Loctite is much more dependable.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Or a nylock type of screw. The type with the little nylon plug set in the side of the threads.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thanks for the quick replies. Can I achieve the same results by using a tap with a different class tolerance?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Theoretically yes ..but in reality...no.

Use threadlocker or something that used to be called vibratite....reusable thread locker.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:38 pm Is this a legitimate process for metal?
No. The H28 Handbooks specify that the pitch diameter is where interference is to be generated, not at the minor/major diameter. If memory serves, what you're talking about is a class 5 fit. I could be wrong, as it has been many years since I last read on the subject.

You might enjoy success in wood because it gives (compresses). In metal, you'd have greater difficulty in tapping, and most likely would just break taps instead of forming interference, as the minor diameter of the tap would be forced to removed any metal that might have been used to create the desired interference.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Mr Ron wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:19 pm Thanks for the quick replies. Can I achieve the same results by using a tap with a different class tolerance?
Taps are sized by "H" limits, not class of fit. You can achieve the desired class of fit of a tapped hole by choosing the proper "H" limit of the tap to accompany the male thread pitch diameter being used. (or come pretty close!)

http://www.tapmatic.com/tapping_questio ... imits.ydev
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Mr Ron wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:38 pm I want a tapped hole to have a friction fit with a screw or set screw. For example, if I want an 8-32 set screw to be a friction fit, I use a #30 tap drill in place of the recommended #29. I haven't done this in metal, but just in wood for a saw plate insert in a table saw. I used set screws to level the insert in the saw and didn't want the screws vibrating loose. Is this a legitimate process for metal? a set screw for a motor pulley for example.
I have used studs that have an interference fit. I don't know if they still make studs you can buy off the shelf with an interference fit on the short threaded end. We would use a stud driver to screw the studs in. What we did to make studs with an interference fit was to use a geometric die head. The geometric die head has a lever for a roughing in the threads, then you would run it again with the lever in the finish cut position. We would only thread with in the rough cut position. This would give us an interference fit on one end of the stud. Then cut the thread on the other end with both rough and finish cut. So once you drive the stud in with the stud driver then you could use an off the shelf nut on the other end. I have run into studs with an interference fit on the exhaust manifold on 350 Chevrolet engines. As I see it you would have to make your own over size pitch screws to do what you want.
I think you might try using 2 shorter set screws and locking the first set screw in and using the second one to lock the first one in place. Just a thought, since I don't have a clear picture of your application.

Richard W.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Richard_W wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:40 pm
Mr Ron wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:38 pm I want a tapped hole to have a friction fit with a screw or set screw. For example, if I want an 8-32 set screw to be a friction fit, I use a #30 tap drill in place of the recommended #29. I haven't done this in metal, but just in wood for a saw plate insert in a table saw. I used set screws to level the insert in the saw and didn't want the screws vibrating loose. Is this a legitimate process for metal? a set screw for a motor pulley for example.
I have used studs that have an interference fit. I don't know if they still make studs you can buy off the shelf with an interference fit on the short threaded end. We would use a stud driver to screw the studs in. What we did to make studs with an interference fit was to use a geometric die head. The geometric die head has a lever for a roughing in the threads, then you would run it again with the lever in the finish cut position. We would only thread with in the rough cut position. This would give us an interference fit on one end of the stud. Then cut the thread on the other end with both rough and finish cut. So once you drive the stud in with the stud driver then you could use an off the shelf nut on the other end. I have run into studs with an interference fit on the exhaust manifold on 350 Chevrolet engines. As I see it you would have to make your own over size pitch screws to do what you want.
I think you might try using 2 shorter set screws and locking the first set screw in and using the second one to lock the first one in place. Just a thought, since I don't have a clear picture of your application.

Richard W.
I don't have a particular application in mind. Just thinking out loud.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Couple of questions:
1) Why the special name of "friction thread" or is it that you just want a tighter fit of the bolt to the hole?
2) How deep is the hole you are threading? IIRC, Machinery's HB gives drill sizes for just that depending on the class of fit and hole depth. It's been a while since I've checked. TLDR - short hole, drill smaller, long hole drill larger.
2A) You said
if I want an 8-32 set screw to be a friction fit, I use a #30 tap drill in place of the recommended #29
. I had a similar problem with a shallow (5/16 deep) hole for 10-32 threads. The drill for 10-32 is #21, but I thought the threads looked shallow on a test part that I cross sectioned so I redid with a #23. Much improved. Very careful tapping.

Not the best cross sections, but enough to make the point:
10-32 w 21 n1.jpg
10-32 w/21 drill
10-32 w 23 n1.jpg
10-32 w/23 drill

3) Have you considered using back to back setscrews like they use on Bridgeport mills?
4) And there's always 1-800-Loctite.

Thanks,
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveR wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:40 pm I had a similar problem with a shallow (5/16 deep) hole for 10-32 threads. The drill for 10-32 is #21, but I thought the threads looked shallow on a test part that I cross sectioned so I redid with a #23. Much improved.
I'd suggest to you that the drill you used cut oversized. Recommended tap drills are usually in the vicinity of a 70% thread. A used drill, or one that is not properly sharpened tends to yield oversized holes, often bell-mouthed as well.

If you wish to achieve properly sized holes when drilling for tapping, I suggest you double drill the holes. Start with a twist drill that is a couple sizes smaller than the target diameter, then open the hole with the desired drill. It's highly unusual for that procedure to yield an oversized hole.

Use caution when drilling some of the copper alloys, as the drill tends to self-feed when opening the hole with the second drill.

When working at Sperry Utah, we were required to double drill all holes, to assure proper size.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

SteveR wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:40 pm Couple of questions:
1) Why the special name of "friction thread" or is it that you just want a tighter fit of the bolt to the hole?
2) How deep is the hole you are threading? IIRC, Machinery's HB gives drill sizes for just that depending on the class of fit and hole depth. It's been a while since I've checked. TLDR - short hole, drill smaller, long hole drill larger.
2A) You said
if I want an 8-32 set screw to be a friction fit, I use a #30 tap drill in place of the recommended #29
. I had a similar problem with a shallow (5/16 deep) hole for 10-32 threads. The drill for 10-32 is #21, but I thought the threads looked shallow on a test part that I cross sectioned so I redid with a #23. Much improved. Very careful tapping.

Not the best cross sections, but enough to make the point:

10-32 w 21 n1.jpg
10-32 w/21 drill

10-32 w 23 n1.jpg
10-32 w/23 drill

3) Have you considered using back to back setscrews like they use on Bridgeport mills?
4) And there's always 1-800-Loctite.

Thanks,
SteveR
I've tapped holes in wood using a one size smaller drill in order to get a friction (tight) fit so a set screw won't vibrate loose. It is used on insert plates for circular saws. Works fine; just wondering if the same procedure works in metal.