raising car suspension

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

davetroke

raising car suspension

Post by davetroke »

I recently bought a VW golf and has been lowered to the point i scrape the bottom of the car every time i drive over speed bumps. I only paid £650 quid for it so i took the initiative to raise the height myself. However, it doesn't feel right when i drive it. I read online that if the alignment is off by a few cementers then you can noticeably feel the difference. Been looking at height gauges online but i'm thinking there is probably a cheaper way to do this?

Also, When measuring the exposed shock tube are you removing the top mount and the bump stop? Do you from the very top of the exposed threads?

Thanks.
NP317

Re: raising car suspension

Post by NP317 »

Sounds like a good question to ask on VW Golf/automotive-specific forums.
RussN
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

A line-up shop should be your first stop. get that right and then see how it feels.
If they're any good, they can tell you if there are any other parts you need to change.
Better to go to an independent shop with an "old guy" mechanic than one of the chain quicky shops with fresh underpaid school kids to do the work.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

larger diameter tires????
Too many things going on to bother listing them.