Mill Gibs

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Mill Gibs

Post by Bill Shields »

All of this is why there are scales that measure actual table position in addition to encoders on the motors/screws of the better CNC machines.

Lightweight machines with a bit of wear on the ways can benefit from a bit of drag from the locks...not the best practice but the world is what it is
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:20 pm Lightweight machines with a bit of wear on the ways can benefit from a bit of drag from the locks...not the best practice but the world is what it is
I agree. Use the locks, or don't use the locks. Slight drag discourages self feeding. Doesn't work well if the slide has excessive wear, though.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have owned machines where I needed to follow the table with drag adjustments.

Built a very respectably running loco with it but it was a steep learning curve to get there.

Most annoying is that the machine was very new...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:47 pm Most annoying is that the machine was very new...
I'm not the least bit surprised. That's often due to the fact that most machine tools are not hand scraped. That includes the exaggerated Bridgeport (I own one), which has ***no*** scraped slides. If they were, the average guy couldn't afford to buy them. The vast majority of such machines are either just milled, or ground.
Please, no arguments from those who think otherwise. Do not confuse flaking with scraping.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold and Bill--

Prior to starting this thread, I figured the problem with my machine was probably the cross feed gib. I did that by putting some drag on the cross feed with the locks. By doing so, my indicated slop disappeared when moving the cross feed.

Of course, I learned that here, long ago.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Amazing what you can learn on the internet as long as you have the intelligence of a grapefruit to weed out the trash
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

Ain't that the truth!

--Bill
You are what you write.