Smokeless no smell cutting oil?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Smokeless no smell cutting oil?

Post by Bill Shields »

You end up breathing the stuff, getting it in your eye and ears without significant suction around the machine. My brother in law used to get ear infections whenever he used it
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

The guy I’m helping out on occasion uses a blue water soluble concentrate from Rust-Lik. It mixes 10/1 with water and works great with little smoke.
*BUT*
The brand new thick rubber way covers he bought last year for the mill have pretty much fallen apart. They cracked and crumbled. Very disappointing and somewhat scary.
The only thing we can figure is that the splash from the Cutting fluid has degraded the covers in some way. That kind of activity concerns me health wise. Just don’t know. Anyone else noticed anything similar?
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Unless I am cutting heavy pipe threads I am down to using just ButterCut. The side effect is when it does smoke it smells a bit like you have been cooking french fries.
As for the cheasy can tops it helps and conserves to either put it in an oiler can or use a small brush to apply. Dumping the can over to use the provided spout always seems to put more than needed onto the workpiece.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

A "misting" system I've read about but haven't tried has nozzles designed to prevent the formation of droplets fine enough to float around in the air. Then there's the idea of using compressed air alone. I've also read of the use of chilled compressed air but that seems too complex.

I've used animal fat in the past. It works well but turns gummy and hard to clean up.

Buttercut sounds interesting. Perhaps I should just try butter.
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

I like dark pipe threading oil. The sulfur in it provides good resistance to chip welding. It doesn't smell at all like rotten eggs, but I guarantee the smoke from it would be a point of contention. My shop is not attached, but there have been remarks when I come in the house after. Love me. Love my choice of cutting oil. At least I don't oil my hair like was in fashion when I was a kid.

I kinda' like the smell of it. My father's shop was in the basement. He didn't use pipe threading oil per se, but sulfurized cutting oil was common back then. The scent reminds me of childhood sometimes. Mostly it means I'm ripping off metal to make something useful, the right size. (mostly). It's a privilege relatively few experience, and a chance to be creative whether making parts to someone else's drawings, or creating something of my own. It's a type of power that has no ill effects.

Sorry, I have no suggestions other than what not to do.
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

Aervoe Crown Buttercutt is good and they even have it on the shelf at my local Runnings store. I do think Monroe Cool Tool II is a bit more effective. Both will eventually turn dark and degrade. Not sure if rancid is the right word. Cool Tool II will turn brass green if you don't clean it off. Not sure about Buttercutt. Both will smoke if you get them hot enough, but I don't find them offensive. Most home machines shouldn't be getting them hot anyway. Those are the only two fluids I use for pretty much everything, save for some WD-40 on aluminum.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."