LED shop lights?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ALCOSTEAM

Re: LED shop lights?

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

A bit late to the thread and I don't want to read all thru it but.. Our local utility has a rebate program going on for swapping out to LED's so check out your utilities offerings. You likely won't get the rebate at a box store as it takes some paperwork by the vendor to ensure things are kept on the up and up for the utility. Here I can get 4' LED bypass tubes for 2 dollars each it just takes listing out where they are going (address and contact person in case the utility people check up).
For any manual work type area I always put in 5k color spectrum as they are the closest thing to bright daylight that is commonly available. If you just want good general light 4k are good for general area's and 3500 lamps are a reddish yellow dim sort of mood lighting. In any place one must be able to read 3500's are garbage and I have pitched otherwise good lamps for no other reason than being 3500's.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

$2 a pop - that's a great deal!
If you read my posts I found 4000K-5000K LEDs to be the most comfortable range. Above 5000K I found the light to be too bright and cold. I need lots of light, but I'm not performing surgery.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

ALCOSTEAM wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:00 am A bit late to the thread and I don't want to read all thru it but.. Our local utility has a rebate program going on for swapping out to LED's so check out your utilities offerings. ....

Thanks for the tip, Alco. My project stalled due to about a year's worth of whack-a-mole home repairs. As soon as I fix one thing, something else breaks. But I'll check our power company and see what they've got.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Nice thing about LEDs is they don't get as hot as the old lights.
Fixtures are simpler and fire danger much reduced.
Ruhla 250-710 flex lights and new oil tube.jpg