G9729 bench height

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Farmer Dan

G9729 bench height

Post by Farmer Dan »

Hello I’m a newbie . So new I haven’t even received the machine yet . I’m beginning plans on where in my shop to locate the machine, and have come across my first issue . My ceiling height is 7’3” . I’m every bit of 5’4” so my question is what height will I need to build the bench ? How much clearance is needed overhead ? ( above the machine . It’s a G9729 . Thanks
rmac

Re: G9729 bench height

Post by rmac »

Welcome to the forum!

One rule of thumb is to position the lathe so the crossfeed handle is about as high as your elbow when you're standing in front of the machine.

With a 7'-3" ceiling, I think you'll have plenty of clearance above the machine once it's installed. Things might get a little tight as you're setting it up, though, depending on what kind of equipment (engine hoist or whatever) you're using to lift it onto the bench.

-- Russell Mac
Farmer Dan

Post by Farmer Dan »

Great to hear that info. Getting it in place should be no problem bc I have pallet jack and forklift for help . Thank you !!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Be sure to make your bench height what is comfortable for YOU. "Rules" be damned.

My grandmother was tall and her kitchen counters were about 2" higher than "standard."
Worked for her and confounded guests! Perfect.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

A bench is easier to lift than cut off...and if you have levelling feet on the bench you are half way there

I find standard lathe heights to be about 6" too short for my 73" height...what with bad back, long arms and failing eyes..higher is better especially for smaller lathes / parts.

Do not worry about ceiling height...unless you have to bend over to run the lathe.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
rmac

Post by rmac »

RussN wrote: Be sure to make your bench height what is comfortable for YOU. "Rules" be damned.
Good advice for sure, Russ, but what do you say to a self-described newbie like the OP who may not know yet what's going to feel right? He's gotta start somewhere!

-- Russell Mac
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Agreed that it is better to make any bench a few inches too low than too high. You can always jack 'er up, easily done if the bench is fitted with threaded levelling feet.

I made the mistake of building my bench at exactly the height I wanted my lathe. Unfortunately my son liked it a few inches lower. I took off the levelling feet and sat 'er flat on the floor, adding shims as required.

Hence my admonition to make it a few inches lower from the start.
Farmer Dan

Post by Farmer Dan »

Yes this was what I needed to here . Gives me a different angle of thought.
pete

Post by pete »

That rule of thumb Russ mentioned is a pretty good starting point. Eye sight is another that's seldom mentioned though. I like a lathe a little above that general elbow height as it gets the work and how it's cutting a little closer to my eyes. That's even better for part measurements. And building it slightly higher than the ideal is easily fixed if you find it too high just making up what are generally referred to in machine shops as Duck Boards. Or at least that's what there called up here in Canaduh. Basically there a simple frame work of generally 2" x 4"'s stood on edge with a gap of the same width as the 2" x 4" is wide and at least as long as the lathe is. More comfortable than standing on concrete, and the gaps collect the chips. But it can easily be made to suit whatever height you find most comfortable. Measuring your own elbow height from the floor when standing straight will get you a ball park number to shoot for that's going to be within about 2"-3" of being comfortable. But since you've got that fork lift, then finding the correct height for your own body size is dead simple. Leave the lathe bolted to the shipping crate, remove the crates top and sides and adjust the machine's height with the fork lift while trying the hand wheels. The lathe/mill obviously doesn't even need to be fully operational to run this simple check.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I just checked mine and, as with Russ's rule of thumb, my elbow is right at the cross slide crank. I've used it that way for over 30 years with no complaints about height. This puts the turning center line at mid-chest, which I like as I sometimes need to get up close with the Optivisor and I can do that without hunching over much.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Welcome aboard! I don't have much to say about this topic, but you've come to the right place!

Happy New Year!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Farmer Dan

Post by Farmer Dan »

I once again thank you guys for giving the advice. I have decided to patiently wait for the machine to arrive before beginning work on the bench.
Farmer Dan