Gear cutter size for clockmaking

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Re: Gear cutter size for clockmaking

Post by ctwo »

pete wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:38 pmAfaik those cycloidal teeth are only used in some areas and in some watches and clocks. But I've yet to find out when they are being used what the actual design reason is behind why there chosen for that specific part. It's probably something well known, obvious and simple to any watch maker.
Bottom of page 11 begins the reasoning: https://our.oakland.edu/bitstream/handl ... 0clock.pdf
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
pete

Post by pete »

That answers a lot Ctwo, thanks. And some really good and interesting information in that as well. Other than for very low tooth counts which the involute profile can't do, it appears an involute tooth form is superior to cycloidal in every way including a measurable reduction in friction.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

They were said to be stronger too, but how much stress is there in a watch gear train anyway?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
RSG

Post by RSG »

ctwo wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:26 pm Can you post a close picture of the gear looking straight to the profile?

Hi Ctwo, it appears as though i am incorrect! At first glance it looked like an involute gear but it is in fact a Cycloidal as you can see in the pic.

and thanks for the link on the differences between gears....
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
pete

Post by pete »

Very true Ctwo. But that PDF certainly answered the question I've had for years about why you only see cycloidal tooth gears in some watches/clocks and in only one or two areas when there present. It's a design issue with low tooth counts on the pinion gear. Without that the reduced friction with involute gears would obviously have been used instead. If I remember the details correctly, involute gears can be cut with as low as 12 teeth, but below 18 teeth that involute curve becomes less and less correct as the tooth count goes down. And that may be why the cycloidal was chosen in Ron's picture above.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have to giggle at the fellows assumption that Involute gears should replace cycloidal gears in clock making even though may cause the clock to be larger in size..

assuming that the 'clock' does not have to fit on one's wrist...perhaps this is not a bad conclusion... :mrgreen:

i also have to giggle at the concept of 3d printing gears....but if all you have is a hammer then the whole world looks like a nail.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pete

Post by pete »

Maybe for a kids toy repair I'd go with those printed gears in plastic. But I couldn't agree more Bill. Like anything else 3D printers have there place. When I see lathe change gear sets on Ebay for the more common models of South Bend and Atlas lathes, thanks but no thanks.