New medication for us aging folks

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

curtis cutter

New medication for us aging folks

Post by curtis cutter »

I ran across this and thought it interesting. An eyedrop that can perhaps negate the need for reading glasses but most effective on folks younger than I.
Although I have become accustomed to the use of readers and do not find them overly inconvenient, being able to weld without readers under the hood would be really awesome.
https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/presb ... -treatment
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Steggy

Re: New medication for us aging folks

Post by Steggy »

curtis cutter wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:49 am I ran across this and thought it interesting. An eyedrop that can perhaps negate the need for reading glasses but most effective on folks younger than I.
Although I have become accustomed to the use of readers and do not find them overly inconvenient, being able to weld without readers under the hood would be really awesome.
https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/presb ... -treatment

Unfortunately, Vuity will not do anything for anyone who has undergone cataract surgery. Also, given its method of improving near vision—temporary constriction of the pupils, its value to anyone with macular problems, common in people with type II diabetes, is probably going to be minimal.

Something I noted on reading up on the product was the clinical trials were conducted on subjects aged 40 to 55. Apparently, no clinical evaluation was performed on geriatric individuals.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I saw that too about the people it would not help but I also thought about a friend who is in his mid 40's, really healthy, and now has to use reading glasses.

Always a trade off with medications. Lasix may keep a CHF patient alive but also keeps you reading road maps as to locations of rest stops.
Gregg
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Constriction of the pupils will also tend to make it hard to see in anything but bright light.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

John Hasler wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:40 am Constriction of the pupils will also tend to make it hard to see in anything but bright light.

Yep! Make sure you have a good reading light handy. :D
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

But really bright light will make your pupils constrict. So what does this stuff do that a really bright reading light won't?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I'm happy with my reading glasses...
RussN
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I had cataract surgery on both eyes almost 30 years ago. Before that, I was legally blind in one eye making it hard to drive. My eyesight is nearly 20/20 now, but a bright light makes my vision so much better. I don't wear glasses, nor do I want to. I build model trains and have no problem with small details. I just wish my hands were not so shaky.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Being nearly 70 I am past the age where this could be of benefit to me.
I am just always amazed at what can be made to treat people with illnesses. New things seem to come out daily.
Gregg
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:53 pmI just wish my hands were not so shaky.

I had that shakiness as well, but then discovered that it was better to sip my bourbon after working on the trains, rather than before. :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have found that a good single malt scotch works as well as most of the medication that has been prescribed for me.

I may not live longer but will enjoy it...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:52 pm I have found that a good single malt scotch works as well as most of the medication that has been prescribed for me.
I'm not proud. I'll even indulge Chivas Regal. It need not be a single malt to make me happy.
I may not live longer but will enjoy it...
On that subject, when I stopped taking the ¼ aspirin I had been advised to take many years ago, my stomach problems seemed to slowly go away.
I can now enjoy a scotch and water (I prefer it diluted) without stomach issues.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.