Things change

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Things change

Post by seal killer »

All--

I have been away from my equipment for about six years. Recently, I returned to the (new) shop only to discover several changes that really surprised me.

All the dial and instrument graduation marks have become smaller and somehow blurred. You wouldn't think that was physically possible.

My Kurt vice is at least 40lbs heavier. I discovered this when I picked it up from its home near the mill and carried it over to the mill table. How can that be?

I looked at my 130lb rotary table. It looks just like it did six years ago, except for the marks on the dials. But, based on the Kurt's new weight, I bet that rotary table is now somewhere north of 170lbs.

I've been involved in science and technology my entire life, but I have never read anything in the literature about this phenomenon. Have you?

--Bill
You are what you write.
SteveM

Re: Things change

Post by SteveM »

I just moved and most of my stuff is in storage.

I'd better hurry up and get it out before mine does the same thing!

Steve
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

It's a phenomenon called old age. At 87, everything weighs at least 10X more.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

seal killer wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:50 pmI have been away from my equipment for about six years. Recently, I returned to the (new) shop only to discover several changes that really surprised me...

I don't want to sound too encouraging, but wait another five years to see just how much things will improve. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Mr Ron wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:36 pmIt's a phenomenon called old age. At 87, everything weighs at least 10X more.

...and it takes twice as long to do half as much.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

The floor is at least 2 times further down than it was.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

mcostello wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:50 pm The floor is at least 2 times further down than it was.
And my arms are at least 6" shorter.

Steve
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

It's just the new LED lighting, it makes everything look fuzzy.

The increase in the mass of your tools is a natural consequence of increased entropy due to the universe expanding.
Dark matter is constantly being created to fill the increasing space, and that's what adds mass to objects in long term storage.

If you use your tools every day, you don't notice it, but it's happening just the same.

Mechanical and optical aids are available to cope with the cosmological realities.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:21 am It's just the new LED lighting, it makes everything look fuzzy.
My old clock radio had a red LED display. The Bose radios use a bluish-green.

Due to refraction in your cornea, blue and red hit the back of your eye in a different place - the red converging on the back of your eyeball and the blue converging just ahead of the surface, rendering it blurry.

If I wake up in the middle of the night, I can't tell what time it is.

Why someone would make an alarm clock display a color that is known to be blurry is a mystery.

Quite possible it's the same youngsters that design car dashboards where someone with 20-15 distance can't read the controls.

Steve
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here in the Northwest, my tools reproduce themselves, usually every winter. Very odd timing.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

mcostello wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:50 pm The floor is at least 2 times further down than it was.
I can't confirm that, but up is about 2x higher than it used to be.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Mr Ron wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:36 pm It's a phenomenon called old age. At 87, everything weighs at least 10X more.
At 89 , you just give up. Maybe it's a good thing this Covid crap made the school quit having volunteers. :-(
...lew...