Things change

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Re: Things change

Post by seal killer »

All--

Thank you all for the explanations. I just knew it wasn't me; there had to be a reason for these changes.

The LED theory by SteveM intrigued me. It just "feels" right. But the Expansion of the Universe theory by liveaboard answers all questions and is a testable theory, which is the foundation of science. Now, we just need a further refined value for the Hubble Constant. Great minds are working on this refinement. We can expect results soon, I hope. If not, then the ever-increasing distance between our machines will present a logistical problem in the shop.

But there is good news: The stuff we drop on the floor should be easier to find since there won't be anything around it due to the expansion.

Maximum entropy: You can't live with it but it may be beneficial for a while.
--Bill
ps Buy blankets. You're going to need them.
You are what you write.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

" Now, we just need a further refined value for the Hubble Constant. "

If all goes well, the refinement of that constant will seriously begin on December 22 with the launch of the James Webb telescope.
And be renamed the "Webb Constant."
RussN
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

RussN--

I've got my fingers crossed . . . we've waited a long time for it to be launched.

--Bill
You are what you write.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

seal killer wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:21 pm RussN--

I've got my fingers crossed . . . we've waited a long time for it to be launched.

--Bill
AMEN! And we taxpayers have funded Billions of $$s. And no one has died as a result.
Fortunately it is now the most tested system in history.
The James Web Telescope will be worth it for the extraordinary knowledge to be gained.
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

NP317 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:01 pmThe James Web Telescope will be worth it for the extraordinary knowledge to be gained.

Hmmm...wasn't something like that said about the Hubble Telescope?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

My old clock radio had a red LED display. The Bose radios use a bluish-green.

Due to refraction in your cornea, blue and red hit the back of your eye in a different place - the red converging on the back of your eyeball and the blue converging just ahead of the surface, rendering it blurry.

If I wake up in the middle of the night, I can't tell what time it is.

Why someone would make an alarm clock display a color that is known to be blurry is a mystery.

Quite possible it's the same youngsters that design car dashboards where someone with 20-15 distance can't read the controls.

Steve
Great post, finally understands the problem reading the clock.

So many bad designs can only be explained by youth and inexperience. These "designers" have never seen a machine shop or build a simple project as a doghouse. Some of them even raise to manage engineering groups until the predictable loss of the real engineers and failure of the business.

On a CAD screen everything seems so neat, and perfect. Last example I met: My F150 Key-FOB fell apart in three pieces with nary a stressful handling. Two plastic shells and a PC board. The detent and clasp have either a 0.010" engagement or are impossible to disengage without deforming beyond the limits. Easy to pop open, nearly impossible to put back together. But they look so good mated in multicolor on a big CAD screen.
A replacement for a $25 item cost $250 + $100 programming. Ransoming customer is the only way to keep a poor business alive.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

tornitore45 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:14 am A replacement for a $25 item cost $250 + $100 programming. Ransoming customer is the only way to keep a poor business alive.
I know someone who has a car where the keys are $500 each.

Here's a suggestion:

Get non-chip copies of your keys for $4.95 each.

If you lock your keys in the car at home, you can just unlock it.

I have a keychain with copies of all four car keys in non-chip, plus the house keys.

Anytime my wife is driving, I grab that set. Won't help if she drops her keys down a storm drain, but if she locks the keys in the car, we're good.

Only problem was trying to convince the kid operating the key machine that I WANTED a key that wouldn't start the car!

Steve