Vise Abuse

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rmac

Re: Vise Abuse

Post by rmac »

Interesting. I'll have to try that.

I've been using the "one and done" method, but with several measurements to check myself. I don't average them together (that seems dumb); instead I look for two or three to match. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Some of that probably has to do with technique, and some of it probably has to do with lousy surface finish. As Harold wrote a very long time ago in a super valuable post :
You can't realistically work to tenths, or even a half thou, when your part looks like a plowed field.
Regardless, it's good to know I can probably get where I need to be without a bunch of high-dollar tools. Thanks.

-- Russell Mac
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

If you have any ring gauges or bearings, (of known size) that's a good way to develop a technique.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

rmac wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:43 am
Harold wrote: My policy was to use one of the parts on the opposite side of the vise, always at the extreme end to assure the part being machined was being firmly clamped.
Yes, that's a great idea if you have that second part. Sometimes a remnant from whatever stock you started with can also be used the same way. When neither is available, I really like the feeler gauge idea.
Harold wrote: On the subject of adjustable parallels----they are outstanding for measuring windows (pocket cuts). Much more precise than calipers.
On the subject of precision measurement----I never thought it would happen, but I've found myself trying to make sub-thousanth measurements a couple of times with my little engines. (Getting a good piston-to-cylinder fit, making bearings fit just right with their mating parts, etc.) I know there are very fancy and expensive tools for measuring bores, but I wonder what kind of precision I can expect with telescoping gauges and a micrometer. If I get everything clean, and use perfect technique, and hold my mouth just right, should I be able to measure tenths?

And what about holes too small for a telescoping gauge? Gauge pins, I guess?

-- Russell Mac
For small bores there are "small bore gages". These have a ball or barrel shaped end, axially split, with a tapered pin down the middle to adjust the "spread" or overall diameter. This pin is screw adjusted so that the ball or barrel may be made to fit the bore.
I kid myself that I can measure reliably down to .0002" or so, using these gages. Fact is I really don't know except that the ball bearings were a light push fit into the housing I was boring.
It takes considerable practice to get reliable measurements from this type of gage. Practising with inner ball bearing races, where these dimensions are known, is a good way to get proficient.
And be aware of the "plowed field" effect. Ya gottal luv that expression as it really illustrates the message here.
pete

Post by pete »

You asked about holes too small for those telescoping gauges Russell. Yeah gauge pins is one method, they won't give you accuracy's to low 10ths though. Maybe to a 1/2 thou if the hole has a really good surface finish and is round and straight. We all know a 1.00000" pin isn't going to fit in even a 1.0001 hole. To the nearest thou? Then there's Wolfgang's small hole ball gauges that I'd very much agree require practice on already known holes sizes. These are fairly accurate when your getting close and want a fast check when boring, https://www.starrett.com/category/11140 ... tBy=wp/asc Overly expensive for what they are, but there would be some pretty tight +- limits on the taper angle to get that .001" accuracy. Depending on what you have such as a mill with a good dro, you could use it and something like a 10ths or half 10ths dti to measure holes and part features to at least a few 10ths sort of like a rudimentary CMM. It's a slow and sort of cumbersome method to compare an easily measured out side feature or coordinate to an inside hole or slot along with basic subtraction and those coordinate readings to then come up with a number you can use. One shop made tool I think is very well thought out and pretty clever, https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.co ... post-48470 scroll down to gbritnell's post that shows the pictures of the tool he came up with. Given both ball tip diameters, there is a limit on just how small you can go. But when making one, the dti itself doesn't even have to be an expensive one, it should have I think 10ths resolution and at least good enough that can be accurately zeroed inside the bore and then removed to be measured with an O.D. micrometer until the dti needle is again at zero and that's your size, or at least to within a 10th or two. It's probably about the cheapest method I know of to get that level of accuracy if your mikes are good. But it obviously can't easily measure out of round or bore taper on deeper holes like proper bore gauges can.

There's telescoping gauges that work just like they should right out of the box and some that can't. They look simple and are, but if the manufacturer cut any corners, accurate hole gauging with those is pretty much impossible. First the telescoping parts need to be very straight so the parts can move with minimal friction each and every time. Then each gauge needs to be disassembled, de-greased and even more important, de-burred with a small stone. Most telescoping gauge designs I know of use some type of machined slot a pin rides in to prevent the gauge from coming apart unless the tightening handle is unscrewed enough. It's generally those slots that need de-burring. That takes quite a bit of time to do properly and why it's almost always ignored on the cheaper off shore sets. So if your using something like that and can't get good accuracy, it might not be your technique, it just might be the tool itself needs a bit of TLC. And these steps aren't optional if you can hear or feel the slightest amount of variable friction or grit as the gauge is collapsed with your fingers. There's no such thing as over oiling machine tools, but there sure is with metrology equipment.I've tried very light coats of dry lube, but still think powder graphite might work as well or better on tools like this. Each tip on each gauge also needs to be inspected for the slightest signs of dings, burrs and even worse any flat areas where the radius isn't constant out to the very center of each gauge tip. The exact radius isn't that important, only that there is one and that it's less than the smallest hole radius that gauge can be used on. I've checked a few off shore sets at tool dealers around here and some showed definite flat spots on most of the tips because the radius wasn't fully formed. Those are useless and impossible to get an accurate measurement without further work to do what the manufacturer should have.

A real machinist probably wouldn't need it, and I've mentioned this before. But I found juggling a mike in one hand, slowly rotating it's thimble with a finger while sweeping the telescoping gauge tip past the mike anvil until I get a size reading to be a bit inconsistent for getting decent and repeatable accuracy. Instead I now use what's known as a micrometer stand to hold the micrometer. With one it's much easier to put one leg of the telescoping gauge against the mike's fixed anvil and gently sweep the other tip back and forth horizontally past the other advancing anvil until I barely get a light drag as the gauge tip sweeps past that mike anvil. Then I also rock that gauge tip back and forth vertically and the light drag feel should be the same in both directions. My repeatability and confidence in the measurements I was getting went up a lot as soon as I started doing it that way. Looking like a real machinist is a lot less important than getting known accurate measurements you can depend on imo. :-) Mitutoyo, Starrett and a few others make those mike stands, the Mit I think is better designed and should be more stable with larger micrometers, but both are over priced for what they are. Making something to do the same wouldn't be hard. I have seen an almost exact off shore copy of the Mit that was reasonable. But something like a PanaVise 301 with it's plastic jaw liners would do everything my Mit can, and a lot more that it can't.
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

pete wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:14 pm ...
One shop made tool I think is very well thought out and pretty clever, https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.co ... post-48470 scroll down to gbritnell's post that shows the pictures of the tool he came up with.
If you make one of George Britnell's ingenious tools, think about adding a differential adjusting screw to it. Here

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/sim ... ores-27245

are pictures and a description of the copy I made.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Marv, I hadn't seen your article before or I would have linked to it as well. That differential screw is a great idea and addition, and I think just as clever as Georges bore measuring tool.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Checking cylinder bores is easy,
I taught this to my machinists for many years,
Use your adjustable parallels ( AP' s) and measure with OD Mike cross-corner !
this is why I said earlier that you want good AP's and not bang them up.
Be sure the edges are perfect- that is no dings (!) and whatever radius "may" be on the corner, that it is constant ( cheap AP's are not )

The beauty of using them is four fold:

You get a accurate reading with the same Mike you use for OD work +1
By rotating the AP's <90-180 you can see or feel if the bore is eggshaped +2
If the AP's Rock, you have a coke bottle or bell mouth bore + 3
You don't need two hands , so less chance of error trying to hold two measuring instruments +4

Rich
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rmac wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:43 am but I wonder what kind of precision I can expect with telescoping gauges and a micrometer. If I get everything clean, and use perfect technique, and hold my mouth just right, should I be able to measure tenths?
The harsh reality is one can use telescoping gauges and rely on the readings within a couple tenths. It relies upon using identical pressures and careful measurement of the gauge once it has been properly dragged through the bore. I relied on this method for years when I ran my humble commercial shop. At no time did I have work rejected because of erroneous readings.
And what about holes too small for a telescoping gauge? Gauge pins, I guess?
Depends on the tolerance at one's disposal. Unless you happen to own Deltronic pins, you may not have the ability to work to tenths. Deltronics are exceptionally good, but they are not cheap, and likely not in the cards for the typical home shop. If you are not familiar with Deltronic pins, they come in a set of 25 pins, the center pin being nominal, with a dozen pins on each side of nominal in one tenth graduations. They are extremely accurate pins.

Assuming you do not have access to Deltronics, you must think beyond pins, which are normally supplied in one thou increments. Small hole gauges work just fine, and can also be trusted to a couple tenths, depending on one's skill. As with telescoping gauges, I used them for small holes and enjoyed complete success. I would not suggest they be used when tight tolerance is demanded (tighter than ±.0002"). By the way, I like the half ball gauges in lieu of the full ball gauges. They can be used for shallow bores, unlike the full ball.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

GlennW wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:05 am You should definitely be able to measure to tenths with telescoping gauges. I'll quite often use both telescoping gauges and bore gauges just as an exercise to prove that.

I have use gauge pins up to .5". and mainly use the .250" and below for small hole gauging.
When measuring a hole, what is the surface finish of the hole assumed to be? A drilled hole will not have a smooth surface. I would think a hole that is honed would be true enough to measure with a hole gauge.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pete

Post by pete »

Fwiw I can't visualize a situation where any drilled hole would ever need to be measured to close limits. Drills are only classed as a roughing tool since the hole they produce can be out of round, maybe not all that straight and at least a bit over size to the drill sized used. Plus they always leave a poor surface finish. So any tight tolerance holes are going to need further operations such as reaming, boring and/or that honing. And reaming can only do so much. If it's important enough to have a round straight hole, I'd probably drill, then bore to the recommended size for reaming and to get the hole back to round and straight, and then ream for that size and surface finish. But a reamer is also going to generally produce something a bit oversize to it's dimensions. If it's really important to hit a known size, I'd do a few test holes in the exact same material and measure what size that reamer and the cutting fluid I'm using is going to give me. If I couldn't hit the size I had to, then it's going to cost some bucks to get under or over reamers to do so.

I'd guess for most of us, hitting an exact hole size would be required for an off the shelf part. Bearing or bushing fits would likely be the most common. So boring is going to be enough. And since the shaft is only supported by the bearing or bushing, the rest of the hole only needs to be drilled clearance size for the shaft. A cast iron part could be used as it's own bearing surface because it's an ok bearing material. But a drilled hole still isn't going to be good enough. And from an engineering perspective that's a poor method since when the hole wears there's no repair method other than reboring over size and then adding bearings or bushings that could have been done as the correct method originally.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I mainly use bore gauges, telescoping gauges, or a micrometer caliper when boring. but when it comes to honing, I use bore gauges. Sometimes pin gauges for gauging smaller holes if it is just a sliding fit.

Bore gauges measure the bore, pin gauges gauge the bore in that you basically only know if the bore is smaller or larger than the pin. It either fits or it doesn't. (Deltronic pins excluded)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

pete wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:12 pm and at least a bit over size to the drill sized used.
While that can be true, it's not uncommon for a hole drilled with a twist drill to NOT allow an identical sized drill blank to enter the hole. The reason is a drill's ability to drill out of round, or, as has been stated, not straight.

Twist drills can create good holes, but all features must be correct, and the drill applied properly for the task at hand. If one hopes to end up with a hole that is sized properly, a reamer is a huge leap forward, although even reamers have the potential to yield questionable holes.

You need a hole that is round, on size and properly located? Bore.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.