Table tram

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Table tram

Post by seal killer »

All--

I actually got a chance to work in the shop. (This made me happy. :))

The first order of business prior to starting my inconsequential project (a stand for a rain gauge), was to check the tram on my mill. (Grizzly 3616 https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... mill/g3616.) I trammed the table after I moved the shop equipment from storage in KC--where it had all been stored for four years--to the Ozarks. (Zero rust!) But, I did it hurriedly, so I checked it today.

Over a distance of 16", the horizonal is out by less than 0.0002" and the front to back is out by less than 0.0001". (I made it to be half that.)

I wasn't worried about the horizontal; that is adjustable. But the front-to-back isn't . . . or at least I don't know how and where to do it.

So now I have no excuse to not use it, or anything else in the shop.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Re: Table tram

Post by Harold_V »

How did you go about the test, Bill?
For a meaningful result, the indicator should be pivoted via the spindle bearings. If you traversed the indicator by moving the X & Y members, the results define the knee (sag in either direction), but not the relationship between the table and spindle.

I really like the "no rust" comment. I applied cosmoline to the surfaces of my equipment, secure in the knowledge that rust would be an issue. I was right in doing so, as a tiny area on the mill table got disturbed and rusted. Luckily, not very badly.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

well....if your machine is that close...it is probably well within the manufacturer's spec.

looking at the manual for that machine:

what you are looking for: front-2-back -> does not appear to have an 'adjustment' as you would expect to find on a Bridgeport or wells-index look alike machine.

the advantage to that is 'it is more rigid (manufacturer's view of things)' -> the dis-advantage (real world) -> is that 'if it is out, you are stuck with what you have because there is no ready way to 'tram it' along that rotational plane.

but like Harold asked: are the numbers from spindle rotation or by linear axis motion?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold and Bill--

Harold, spindle rotation. I used my BesTest DTI. Regarding storage, I paid $90 per month for a temperature and humidity controlled environment. Still, I worried greatly.

Bill, ha! I was hoping I was somehow wrong regarding the front to back adjustment.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

In reality if your head and spindle are that square...do not mess with it...it is a rare month when my 2 axis adjustable head is that close.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

Good advice. I'll take it.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Good 2 have u back.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

Thank you. I've certainly missed the comraderie and the willingness to help by sharing hard won knowledge and experience from you and other stalwarts on this forum.

I am eager to share the same things as I've always contributed; my ignorance and eagerness to learn.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Great news, Bill. Those numbers are to be admired. When sweeping in the head of my Bridgeport, I tend to swing a 9+" circle, and shoot for less than a half thou. I, too, use a BesTest. I also make minimum contact with the tip, so it glides over the T slots without effort. A couple thou is more than enough once you're close.

I suspect the extra cost of environmental control for your storage paid dividends. I didn't have the luxury and lost a few things to water damage due to a small leak that was not detected until we unloaded.

As the other Bill said, I'm pleased to see you back again. We have a very nice collection of people on this board.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

I'm sure the reason I have a BesTest is because you either mentioned it in passing or I asked you years ago what I should get for that purpose.

I jacked the knee way up so as not to extend the spindle. I locked the knee, table and spindle and had the DTI tip just touching the table so as to easily navigate the t-slots.

Wonder where I learned that?

Question: Could one eliminate the t-slot issue by placing a surface plate on the table? I was thinking about that but did not know if the bottom of the plate is "perfectly" parallel to the top.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Correct on the assumption that top and bottom may not be parallel.

However ground parallels are just that .
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

Thanks for that. I have parallels, but I have no idea if they are ground parallels. Since I don't know, they probably are not.

--Bill
You are what you write.