Mystery items

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Gwarden

Mystery items

Post by Gwarden »

Got two mystery items, one is marked Godell Pratt Company Toolsmiths No132 (photo 1 and 2

Other item has no markings (Photos 3 and 4)

Any ideas?

Dennis
Attachments
Photo 1 Top
Photo 1 Top
Photo 2 Bottom
Photo 2 Bottom
Photo 3 Top
Photo 3 Top
Photo 4 Bottom
Photo 4 Bottom
pete

Re: Mystery items

Post by pete »

Mostly specialized production equipment I suspect. Either from turret equipped lathes or screw machines. Picture 1 with the aluminum pulley is almost for sure a shop made pulley. My guess is it was likely a more standard hand wheel when it left the factory. Photo 3,4 might possibly be a lever operated threading tool? The hole in it's base leads me to think that was for an alignment pin. Unless you can find the few tons of machine that are missing they fit onto there not much use or value. Is the name spelled Godell or Goodell? If it's Goodell then Miller Falls bought the company in 1931 so the tool in picture 1,2 would predate that.

Edited to add, I blew up your picture and it is spelled Godell, yet I can find no company with that spelling and every return shows it spelled Goodell.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

The photo just cuts off part of the name, it is Goodell-Pratt.
You can find an article showing these parts here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/goodell-pratt/
They were inexpensive lathes mostly used by home shops.

Keith
rmac

Post by rmac »

Yup, it's Goodell-Pratt. The 'G' is hidden in the photo. There's a copy of one of their old catalogs here:

https://archive.org/details/GoodellPrat ... /2up?q=132

Their No. 312 Slide Rest is on page 281. Not sure if the second item is shown in the catalog or not. I didn't want to search through all 400 pages, especially since we don't even know if the second item came from the same outfit.

-- Russell Mac

slide_rest.png
pete

Post by pete »

Well looks like I was wrong about that first tool then. :-)
Steamin

Post by Steamin »

love the honesty of that ad: "...It is a strong and thoroughly well made device although not a precision tool...."
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

The pulley was obviously used as a knob.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

While visiting my friend this am I noticed a 2-axis attachment almost exactly like the one shown. The one I saw was part of the tooling of a STARK jeweler's lathe. His basically had a flat bottom so it could be mounted in nearly any orientation or position. It also had a couple of gadgets to accomplish the mounting. There is no name on the attachment, but it came with the STARK lathe.
Just thought it was interesting to see a similar attachment.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I failed to mention that the flat bottom of the STARK accessory has a T slot in it so it can be fastened to the lathe ways with the attachment gadgets. If there was a lantern tool holder it is missing.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
chief

Post by chief »

+1 on Steamin's comment !

If offered today it would be touted as good for building nuclear reactors and star ships. Lol
Terry